• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chips, Chunks , Pellets ?

wade2000

Joined Nov 29, 2013
Hey folks, Whats your favorite wood to use for cheese? Chips, chunks, pellets,-- Hickory, apple, etc. I smoked some cheddar and pepper jack with my little home made generator using some apple chips and it just didn't smell right. Will letting it rest for a longer period of time make it mellow a bit. Any thoughts?

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
What ever method you can use to generate smoke without heat will work. If temps get above 90° you might as well put a pan of Macaroni under it because it will melt through the grates. The mildest wood works best for cheese but as anything it is a personal choice. You need to let it mellow a minimum of 2 weeks but longer is better...JJ

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011

What ever method you can use to generate smoke without heat will work. If temps get above 90° you might as well put a pan of Macaroni under it because it will melt through the grates. The mildest wood works best for cheese but as anything it is a personal choice. You need to let it mellow a minimum of 2 weeks but longer is better...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.