Chimney smoke at 5am & Neighbors

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kcsmokefan83

Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Long Island, NY
So the every time I've lit up my charcoals in the chimney it creates an insane amount of smoke.  I've never really noticed this before because in just cooking with charcoals it's been the middle of summer day at someone else's house, so I've never really cared about the amount of smoke.  Now that I live in the suburbs and starting cooks at 5am I've seen neighbors take notice.  Some even came over and asked if there was a fire.  Nice neighbors, but I don't want to make anybody angry over it.

Is there a way to reduce the amount of smoke from the chimney when lighting up the coals?  I've read starting from the top down can really reduce the amount of smoke.  Has anyone tried that?

I used to do same as Dave , but dont have a side burner any more . Try less paper  sprayed with a small amount of cooking oil . 

Reactions: kcsmokefan83
Thanks Chopsaw!  I've been using Rutland fire starter squares and was thinking maybe I just needed to use one or two less, but I'm loving the idea of using the side burner.  Definitely going to try that this weekend!

Yes, torch maybe good. I use charcoal bag pieces and those really smoke bad. 5 am they should be sound asleep . Maybe light it out front so smoke blows somewhere else

Last edited:
Wow Sidelight method definitely looks like something try!  Need to get me a torch though.  These are amazing suggestions.  Thanks everyone!  I'll update after this weekend with which method I tried and how it went.

Wow Sidelight method definitely looks like something try!  Need to get me a torch though.  These are amazing suggestions.  Thanks everyone!  I'll update after this weekend with which method I tried and how it went.
They have electric blow torches too.. lol looks like a curling iron . Called a looftlighter... kamado Joe makes an electric one too..

Last edited:
Years back, saw a post and dang if I can find it. They took a tuna can, went half way with alcohol placed under your chimney. Been doin it ever since. Hot blue flame gets um going pretty fast with little smoke.

We used to make toilet paper roll stoves in coffee cans for out in the ice fishing shanty. Soaked roll in the can with alcohol. Also wax soaked cardboard strip, rolled and stuffed into a coffee can and soaked with a bar of melted wax.

I always fill up a whole can of charcoal, with paper ... early morning smoke keeps from going to church with wife ,,, also,lets the neighbors know that we are going to burning most of the day .. some, even bring over some meat and throw it on also.. we have lived in this home a little over 17 years .. and I guess they are sorta used to it ...seems that I m not the only one burning wood and kingsford in the neighborhood .. 

Oh I can't resist adding this: At my old house, the neighbor would start his charcoal with gasoline. No kidding, he had flames four feet tall roaring. We used to laugh at it, saying I AM OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL.

I'm of the opinion the smoke is from the paper or accelerant you're using not the charcoal itself...
Having a similar smoke experience, I light mine on the side burner of my grill now...MUCH LESS SMOKE HOWEVER...
Be wary of the ash making a mess...I line my burner with foil for easier clean up.
You can also use the "side light" technique with your chimney starter...insert your touch into one of the air holes for 2-3 minutes then move the touch about 1/3 the distance around the bottom and repeat twice to.light the coals in three locations.
Coals will be fully ignited (depending on size and fullness of the chimney) in about 15 minutes.

Walt.

I too use my gas grill side burner as a charcoal chimney starter.  After a recent change in my charcoal stock, I noticed there is a big difference between the amount of smoke Kingsford Original (KBB) generates compared to my new main stock of Royal Oak Ridge briquettes.  I'm using up the last of my KBB exclusively in the Kettle.  Using the RO exclusively in my WSM

With a full chimney of charcoal and the side burner on high, the Kingsford puts out copious amounts of blue smoke for about ten minutes, then it disappears.  The Royal Oak puts out significantly less blue smoke for about five minutes, then disappears.  Even though the RO takes about ten minutes longer than the KBB to ash over, it smokes for a noticeable shorter amount of time. 

All sorts of good ideas (less the gasoline) Only kiddin BW

I had a smoke a few weeks ago was outrageous heavy white smoke,my charcoal was a little to damp.The following day I use my gas grill to warm the charcoal.Problem solved I also have a Turkey Burner

A little off topic but...
I've been looking at RO charcoal for my WSM but because of the inexpensive KF I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
What's your experience with RO on burn time, burn temp and ash production...more less or about the same?
I'd appreciate your feedback back.

Walt.

A little off topic but...
I've been looking at RO charcoal for my WSM but because of the inexpensive KF I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
What's your experience with RO on burn time, burn temp and ash production...more less or about the same?
I'd appreciate your feedback back.

Walt.
Walt I have only used it 1 time and it is some good cooking charcoal.Ray did a write up comparing KBB and RO Ridge

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ttes-burn-temperature-time-and-ash-comparison

Richie

Thanks Richie,
That was very informative and settles it for me... I'll be stocking up on RO as the sales hit...just gotta use up the 60lb of KBB now ive got on hand...maybe on the smokey Joe or at hunt camp.

Walt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky