Chimney Charcoal Starters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokein'rabbits

Original poster
Dec 25, 2020
I made a bunch of starters for my charcoal chimney from petroleum jelly and cotton balls. They worked really well. I got the jelly at Walmart for a couple of dollars. Melt the jelly in a can and dip the cotton balls in the liquid. Set them aside to dry. Be careful, petroleum jelly is flammable. I melted mine on top of my firebox while tending my fire.

Reactions: chopsaw
I put a handful of lump in chimney and then place electric starter in chimney and fill with charcoal. Plug it in and take it out in 7-10 minutes. Pour in grill and gauge if it needs any additional charcoal. Works great for me and once both son-in-laws saw me do it a couple of times they became converted from lighter fluid. You do have to be sort of careful though. I’ve heard that if you’re drinking beer and BSing that your electric starter handle will catch fire while you’re not paying close enough attention.

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around
I'm a newspaper guy, but I am starting to get tired of all the little ember fairies floating around.
Maybe I'll get myself an electric starter and machine out a slot in the bottom for it to be inserted so I don't have the handle on fire problem.

I'm a newspaper guy, but I am starting to get tired of all the little ember fairies floating around.
Maybe I'll get myself an electric starter and machine out a slot in the bottom for it to be inserted so I don't have the handle on fire problem.
I’ve pondered cutting a chimney but never got around to it.

Reactions: TuckersBarbeque
I use the side burner of my gas grill, only time it ever gets used! Or my small propane torch.

Ryan
The Tumbleweeds are a great way to start your coals, and leave absolutely nothing behind like paper does.

I usually save my butcher paper from my wrapped briskets and that cut to side and wadded up also makes a great firestarter, as it burns slower because of the fat-soaked paper. You can also squirt a little vegetable oil on clean butcher paper and get the same effect.

Weber perfomer with gas lighting, electric hot rod or propane no chemicals these days

I'm with Broke.....even put a side burner on the stick burner for that reason....it even works in the nasty wind!
Sparks.jpg

If not using the side burner its just a mini propane torch, I drilled a hole in my chimney for the torch tip......and since you said chimney, it brought memories of what it should look like in action.....
coals.jpg

If I don't have the ability to do the above, its paper or a mini fire with sticks.......

I'm with Broke.....even put a side burner on the stick burner for that reason....it even works in the nasty wind!
View attachment 486763

If not using the side burner its just a mini propane torch, I drilled a hole in my chimney for the torch tip......and since you said chimney, it brought memories of what it should look like in action.....
View attachment 486764
If I don't have the ability to do the above, its paper or a mini fire with sticks.......
Still love your fire pics! And the windy days is when the torch gets used.

Ryan

Reactions: civilsmoker
Paper egg cartons lightly sprayed with older cooking oil. 4-egg section for my small chimney; 6-egg section for the large chimney. Lightly spray a full paper towel with oil, crumple it up, and put it in the egg carton section. Light, and add the chimney.

Too much oil, and it smokes like a fuel-rich diesel fire; thick black smoke. Thus the light spray recommendation.

Love the photo.
Used to use the Weber cubes, or paper with veg oil ... now just my TS8000 torch ... gets a few coals started very quickly.

Lump charcoal lights really easy. All I do is fill the chimney hold it up and use a small propane to light the bottom. Only have to light for 10 seconds or so. Works for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky