chimney bricks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

derekc

Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Im not sure whether to post this here or in UDS builds but since its about bricks i thought about posting here... anyways ive built a UDS but want to use fire bricks to insulate the bottom. I have access to used free chimney bricks that i was thinking i could use instead. Im just wondering if chimney bricks are the same as fire bricks. or if they are different can i still use them safely. i dont want chemicals from the bricks going into my food.

can anyone help me out?

Masonry chimney bricks are not the same as fire bricks. But I wouldn't overthink it. Use what you have, and season it in good. Are they used bricks? Depending on what you have, there may have been a sealer applied to them.

yeah they are from an old chimney that was torn down. would hate even for any off flavours to come from them. god only knows what they burnt in that chimney ober the years.

thanls

Most of the chimney's I've seen use a flue liner, and the brick and mortor is common bricks. Not firebrick.
So not the type used to line fire boxes.
The bricks that actually line the floor and walls are usually firebrick. But only those that are actually in contact with or directing the fire.
But, you can get firebox lining bricks at many larger wood stove suppliers. My Daughter in Washington State had a small airtight stove somebody left in the yard when they moved out. They gave it to me and I was able to get new firebrick to line it with. Made one hellofa good heating stove. New firebrick lining and new gasket, along with stove black brought the little stove back to life.
For your use, wood stove relining firebrick should suffice. All you need is a lining enough to contain the fire so it doesn't burn away the steel of your drum. (Or delays it being burned away)
Always wear respiratory protection working with firebrick.

Here is some ideas and places you can get the material from.

And some How-To. You'll see the lining bricks are typically set in place and not mortored in.

If you are interested, here is a video of how firebrick (Refractory brick) is made.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky