Chilly Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

outback-smoking

Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Yes i know this has nothing to do with smoking meat. But i need some good recipes for my chilly cook off at my local watering hole. Here is the frist part of my recipe i have deer meat ground grass feed beef and ground pork. Can some help me with the rest.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hey thanks ron but i need somthing a little smaller that tastes great dont think i can find all that suff. I need somthing to taste great that i can cook on low for 3-4 hours. i really dont want to blow peps out of the bar and i do want win. HOGS BREATH IS BEETER THAN NO BREATH AT ALL.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Here is one a little less involved and simpler than the chili verde recipe. It still has a great flavor though. Adjust it as you feel the need and have fun.

Chili con Carne

6 dried Ancho chilies(stems and seeds removed)
6 dried New Mexican chilies(stems and seeds removed)
2 tsp Cayenne
1lb beef (chunck)
1lb coarse ground beef
1lb coarse ground pork
2 onions chopped
1tbs chopped garlic
1 tbs Cumin
1 tbs Oregano
1 tsp sugar
1 C Tomato Sauce
3 C Beef Broth

Cover Chiles with hot water and let sit for 15 min. In a blender place chiles and water and blend till smooth.
Saute the meat until browned. Add onions and garlic, cook for 10 min.
Stir in cumin, oregano, tomato sauce and the broth and simmer for an hour.
Add pureed chile paste and continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Add ground Cayenne to increase heat and add water if necessary.

Serve with coleslaw, corn bread and honey butter.

This recipe is simple and can definitely be played with, modified and changed to your desire. I think the next time I make it I will try some chipotle's in adobo pureed and add enough for heat, flavor and smokiness.

this is the best chili I have eatin If you have a krogers store I use there select black been and corn salsa in the mexican food section ( 1 lb. of ground beef cooked grease taken off add that to 1 jar of the salsa add chili powder to taste) you can get the salsa in mild med. and hot we use the med. it is hot enough for me it is easy and good ,try what ever meat you have but 1 lb. per 1 jar of salsa

Here is a classic Midwestern style chili with lots of meat and beans.

1 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds coarsely ground chuck
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups tomato sauce
Two 16-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained
Tobasco to taste (5 to 10 shakes)

In a big, heavy skillet or Dutch oven, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil until they are soft. Add the beef and salt. Cook until the beef is completely browned, breaking it up with a fork as it cooks. Drain off any excess fat. Add the chili powder, cumin, Worcestershire, sugar, tomato sauce, and 2 cups water. Bring the chili to a low boil and summer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the beans and simmer 15 minutes more. Add the Tobasco and more salt, if desired.

I highly recommend with this chili, that you make some horseradish pickles to go with it.

One 32-ounce jar kosher dill pickle halves (about 4 large pickles), with brine
1/2 cup prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon cayenne

Pour the brine from the pickle jar into a large bowl. Mix the horseradish and cayenne into the brine. Cut the pickles into large bite-sized pieces and reimmerse them in the spiced brine. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

The pickles go great on top of a hot bowl of chili. By themselves, they will drain a horse's sinus cavity, but with the chili they compliment the flavor.

A bottle of beer in any chili recipe adds character !
I also like to use stew size pieces of beef in my chili rather than ground ... a whole other dimension!

I haven't smoked the chili itself but I have smoked the meats and peppers that go in it. As dry as the beans have been around here lately I couldn't cut enough trees to smoke it!

I agree 100% here, I'll get a chuck roast or chuck stew meat and cut the pieces a little smaller, maybe dice size. You need to let it cook a little longer, but man it's so much better than ground. I go easy on the kidney beans any more, just a little in there. Some chili spice to taste, some hot peppers (we have so many it's kind of like what ever is on hand, but you can't go wrong with japs). Canned whole tomatoes that I crush up, this will sound weird, but i like the way they fell when you squish them with your hand! I've also found a great flavor enhancer in horseradish. It adds heat, nut a heat that goes away really fast and the flavor is awesome. Of course you HAVE to have shredded cheddar for a topper! People also like chopped onion and some sliced japs, even sour cream!

It's been or is that bean? on my list for some time now!
Ever since I made a batch of Dutch's beans and I have a simple chili recipe that I think would be awesome for smoking ...
Check it out below ....

Turkey Chipotle Chili
Ingredients for chili

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, corn oil or vegetable oil
2 pounds ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 rounded tablespoon chili powder, a palm full
2 chipotles in adobo, chopped, found on Spanish/Mexican foods aisle or, 1/2 cup hot chipotle salsa may be substituted ( I used most of a small can) Oh my!
Salt
1 cup Mexican beer ( 1 bottle or any brand will work)
2 cups chicken stock
1 (28-ounce) can chopped stewed tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans, drained ( black or pinto is better)
1 green or red pepper
½ lb. Fresh mushrooms

Chili method

Heat deep skillet or wide pot over medium high heat. Add oil and turkey. Crumble meat as it cooks, 3 minutes. Add the onions and garlic, chili powder, and chipotle. Cook another 5 minutes. Season with salt. Add beer and cook another minute, stirring to loosen any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the stock, tomatoes, and beans and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Then go ahead and stick in your smoker for about 3 hours or so.

Get into a half full tub of water... Add 25 Lbs of salt. have a dumptruck dump EXACTLY half the remaining volume of the tub of ice. Run around, creating a mixing vortex. you WILL be chilly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky