Chili Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Any love for Green Chili? Like with pork butt, chile's, tomatillos, green onion etc?
2bb49a9e.jpg
We eat it as a stand alone chili, and for smothering things like breakfast burrito's or enchiladas.
C4R3aXj.jpg
HERE is the full write-up. The key is roasting the spices atop the ground pork rather than the standard 'dump' of spices while cooking

Last edited:
Chicken Breast Chili

Oh boy, are you guys going to laugh at this one!!! Once you see the ingredient list.
I got this from my Aunt Ruth way back when I was a young bachelor.

1 1/4 lb. Boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 - Cans black beans 15 oz.
2 - Cans RoTel original 15 oz.
1 - Can tomato sauce 15 oz.
In a 6 qt. crockpot place chicken breasts on bottom, then dump in RoTel, beans and tomato sauce. Cook on High for 5-6 hour or on Low for 10-12 hours. Break up breasts and blend.
Stupid simple and crazy good!

I've gotten lazy. These days I generally use a pack of Wick Fowler's 2 alarm or William's chili mix.

If I'm feeling really energetic and industrious I'm make from scratch with:
A pound or two of 90/10 ground beef, chili grind, or If I'm really really energetic and industrious I'll dice up round steak or sirloin real small
Chili powder, cumin, oregano(preferably Mexican), and diced onions and garlic to taste
A 15oz can or two of tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, or puree to match the amount of meat
A can or two of Rotel
If it needs more liquid I add Kitchen Basics beef stock
I usually add some Tones' beef soup base or Better than Bouillon for beef taste and salt
If you want a hot chili use hot Rotel and or some El Pato tomato sauce

Brown off the meat and add onions to wilt.
Then add other ingredients and cook till done. Of course it takes longer with the diced meat version.

Finally for the really lazy days needing chili fast I have two more solutions available to me.
IMO both are very good and can be found in the refrigerated deli meats, bacon, franks, section at Kroger. They only need to be heated up to serve. They also freeze well so you can always have some at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw
Good thread Brian! here is my go to chili recipe

Ingredients

3 T. vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3-6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. ground beef or buffalo
1 can (14 oz.) Tomatoes with liquid, chopped
1 t. salt
½ t. pepper
3t. cumin
1T. chili powder
1T. paprika
Jalapeno or Ancho powder to add heat as needed.
1T. Mexican oregano (regular if you don’t have mexi)
1 (14 oz.) can chili beans (pinto in sauce)
1 (14 oz.) can black beans rinsed and drained
1lb frozen Hatch roasted chopped green chili’s mild
1 bottle Guinness Stout – just about any beer works.

Directions

• Heat the oil in medium stock pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion till brown and set aside.
  • Brown meat in a pan, then add to stock pot with onions.
  • Add garlic and stir one minute
  • Pour in tomatoes with liquid, beer, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
  • Stir in beans and green chilies and cook another 25 minutes. Serve with grated cheese & sour cream.
  • Add more salt, season salt, pepper, chipotle powder, chili powder etc. to taste and heat.
That's sounds good but that a lot of green chili for 1 lb beef?

BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma

Brian,

Seems that our gracious members have shared many great looking recipes with you.
Are you planning on sharing any of yours?

John
The one I use is from Jake. I was waiting to see if he was going to post it. Here it is:

Any love for Green Chili? Like with pork butt, chile's, tomatillos, green onion etc?
The key is roasting the spices atop the ground pork rather than the standard 'dump' of spices while cooking
I love green chili, in San Diego it was my go to at the neighborhood carniceria. I'm definitely going to try this one out. Ive been doing a lot of soups the last few months and have been roasting the spices prior to the meat or at the same time in a few of the recipes and have really been digging it. You have me wondering why its not more common? Is there a time it is better to do a dump into simmering liquid? It seems that bringing out the oils with heat first should be more common?

The one I use is from Jake. I was waiting to see if he was going to post it. Here it is:

Thanks Brian and Jake,

Seems like you will be quite busy this winter experimenting with all these recipes. How much fun is that!

Enjoy,

John

Reactions: TNJAKE
Here is my no bean recipe:

2 lbs ground brisket
1 lb cubed brisket flat
1 lb hot breakfast sausage
1 medium yellow onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
3 TBS minced garlic
2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
2 15 oz can Italian style tomatoes(dump both cans in the blender and give it a couple whacks on puree so the chili isn't super chunky)
1 7 oz can chipotle in adobo
1 beer of your choice
6 TBS chili powder

Sauté the pepper and onion until close to translucent. Add the juice from the chipotle pepper can and continue to cook until translucent. Add garlic at the end. Maybe a minute or two more. Throw in the bottom of a 6 qt crock pot. Brown the ground meat and drain grease then add that to the crock pot. Brown the cubed brisket. Just give it a quick sear all the way around no need to cook all the way through. Add everything else to the crock pot and cook on high 4 hours stirring occasionally. I usually give it another hour or two on low after than and then take the lid off for 45 minutes or so to let it thicken up.

This is very versatile. You can use any ground beef. No brisket flat? Could use stew meat, chuck, sirloin, etc...Also you can dice up the chipotles in adobo and add them in as well. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't depending on who is going to be eating but it I would at least add the juice from the can. Adds a nice flavor. Prefer beans? Omit one pound of the ground brisket and add in 2 cans of beans drained and rinsed. As for the beer anything works but I prefer to use Yeungling in mine.

I have some course ground beef and going to come up with something this week. I want to do a slow cooker one. May just get some smoke on it before cooking.

Great idea for a TD Brian! Ohio has got some good chilis. Cincinnati 5 way over spaghetti. Another Ohio chili thing is Klinger from the MASH TV show Tony Packos hot dog which is actually a chili dog. Then there is Wendy's fast food chili and is very wholesome and a zero alarm take on it.

20220106_203646.jpg

Chile peppers are the one essential ingredient for chili, but lots of different meats can be used.
I almost always use a mixture of dried chile peppers, such as ancho, guajillo, New Mexican (red).
I toast them in hot skillet after removing stems and seeds, put in hot water for 20 min to reconstitute, then blend into paste.
Since the chiles are not very hot, I add some chopped up jalapeños and/or serrano chiles.
I don't make chili with beans, but sometimes I make a pot of beans on the side.

Great idea for a TD Brian! Ohio has got some good chilis. Cincinnati 5 way over spaghetti. Another Ohio chili thing is Klinger from the MASH TV show Tony Packos hot dog which is actually a chili dog. Then there is Wendy's fast food chili and is very wholesome and a zero alarm take on it.

View attachment 523272
Wow, that looks fantastic! Never thought of putting chili over spaghetti.

Reactions: zwiller
Portable chili to keep on hand in a pinch.
Not as good as any of the above but handy.

We RV and people we meet in the desert sometimes invite us to pot lucks.
We keep a pack of Bear Creek along as a base.

Instead of water we use chicken broth.
We add 1/2 tblspn Emerals essence.
One tblspn cumin.
1 tblspn Montreal chicken seasoning.
1 tblspn chili powder
1 tsp pepper.
1 tsp celery salt.
A few tablespoons Franks Red Hot.

Defrost a pack of the COSTCO pineapple bacon sausage slice and quarter the links into sugar cube size pieces and brown with a small chopped onion in olive oil.

Then on top the sausage/ onion boil the stock, stir in the ingredients per instructions.

It’s s pleaser and a legit item to donate easy to keep on hand.

AF47DACA-3740-4D53-996F-38A1AD1359DD.jpeg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky