CHILI (BUT NOT CHILI)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
So in Ohio we have chili.....its not chili its not even close to chili. Its tomato based and full of beans. But thats what its called around here. So that beeing said whatever you want to call this stuff its really good! I'll show you how I make mine on the smoker. Real easy and comforting food for the cool weather coming.

I start with cooking down some onion and red bell peppers in a little bacon fat
0919201503_HDR.jpg

Then I add in , ranch style beans,kidney beans, tomato sauce, green chilis and a 29oz can of whole tomatoes chopped.
0919201503a_HDR.jpg
0919201506_HDR.jpg

Next up 2lb of ground brisket seasons with salt,pepper,cumin and bbq rub
0919201512.jpg
0919201606.jpg

The beef gets put on a rack over top of the tomatoes and beans so they can catch all the drippings.
0919201647.jpg

Once its cooked and absorbed some smoke I break it all apart add add to the pot
0919201846.jpg
0919201848.jpg
0919201852.jpg

It then goes back on the smoker for a couple hours to finish up
Here it is fresh out of the smoker
0919202015.jpg

Then into a bowl with some cheese and sour cream.
0919202209.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited:
Chili is what you make it. Your technique of cooking the seasonings into the meat before it's added to the chili is somewhat rare, both in the competition chili world, and for home-made chili. I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet it's hard not to sample...., like with a cracker after you break it up??

I made this guess because Mrs ~t~'s Green Chili recipe, which is now 25 or 30 years old uses the same technique, except green chili is made with ground pork butt. It's routine for her to go 1/2 pound heavy to make up for for the amount I swipe from the pan.
55EzPXE.jpg
Tf48NsS.jpg

Reactions: terryd and JLeonard
It's not Cincy chili but I would demolish a bowl!

Nice Job

LIKE!

John
Thanks John ! Its real good stuff and has a nice smoky flavor doing it on the smoker. It's kind of like Wendy's chilli but smoked. And I'm with you on the Cincinnati chili ! But I have to have that over spaghetti.

Chili is what you make it. Your technique of cooking the seasonings into the meat before it's added to the chili is somewhat rare, both in the competition chili world, and for home-made chili. I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet it's hard not to sample...., like with a cracker after you break it up??

I made this guess because Mrs ~t~'s Green Chili recipe, which is now 25 or 30 years old uses the same technique, except green chili is made with ground pork butt. It's routine for her to go 1/2 pound heavy to make up for for the amount I swipe from the pan.
View attachment 463934
View attachment 463935
Lol! Yep you nailed it right on the head! Can't resist a little snacking. Especially the outer crusty parts! YUM!

That's my kind of chili, dang that looks good! Growing up I always thought chili had beans in it, until I learned that's not real chili... some folks get touchy about that, but it's still chili to me. I'm going to have to try this one. 👍

Reactions: terryd
Sure looks good! Around here we call that chili also...no matter what you call it I believe you forgot to call me for supper!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: Sowsage
That's my kind of chili, dang that looks good! Growing up I always thought chili had beans in it, until I learned that's not real chili... some folks get touchy about that, but it's still chili to me. I'm going to have to try this one. 👍
D.W., thanks! If you give it a try dont be afraid to add some kick to it. I keep it mild for the kids and we just add hot sauce add the end.

Sure looks good! Around here we call that chili also...no matter what you call it I believe you forgot to call me for supper!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, your right I should have! We have a ton of leftovers!

Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be chili . Sure looks like chili to me .
I bet that taste great . Love the sour cream top off . Nice work Travis .

Reactions: zsmoking
Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be chili . Sure looks like chili to me .
I bet that taste great . Love the sour cream top off . Nice work Travis .
Thanks man! I love sour cream on chili!

I don’t care what you call it, it looks awesome!
And I bet it tastes great!
I really like the idea of putting the beef above the chili.
I always put 3 or 4 different meats in mine, all smoked, but never thought to put it above the chili! That will change next time, thanks to you!
Al

I don’t care what you call it, it looks awesome!
And I bet it tastes great!
I really like the idea of putting the beef above the chili.
I always put 3 or 4 different meats in mine, all smoked, but never thought to put it above the chili! That will change next time, thanks to you!
Al
Thanks Al! Give it try next time. Gives the meat a little time in the smoke and you dont loose any drippings . really makes a difference in the end product. I actually started doing this first when making sloppy Joes and it was so good ive been doing it with other stuff too.

Not sure exactly what I'd call it but since you made it, you can call it whatever the heck you want to call it :emoji_wink: I would however make a batch of it and most likely love every bite. That looks really good Travis. Nice job and love the way you cook the meat over the pot. That's genius sir.

Robert

Not sure exactly what I'd call it but since you made it, you can call it whatever the heck you want to call it :emoji_wink: I would however make a batch of it and most likely love every bite. That looks really good Travis. Nice job and love the way you cook the meat over the pot. That's genius sir.

Robert
Lol! Thanks Robert ! Cooking the meat over top really makes a big difference!

Nice chili Travis! That’s what we always called chili around here. Pretty cool to smoke the beef above the rest of it. I’ll have to try your method.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky