Chili And Cheese Smothered Sausage Burrito...OMG! (Pcs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
It's kind of interesting how when a person is put in a position that they have to drop back 10 and punt where dinner plans are concerned, a really fun and creative meal can be done. That's what happened with this one. A friend sent a text that she had a meeting cancel and was free to drop by and pick up one of the Christmas items I fabricated. I'd gotten some beef and jalapeno sausage out and planned to make gumbo. Her arrival time was smack in the middle of prep/cook time for the gumbo so I had to nix that idea. Went scrounging through the pantry to figure out something to do with the sausage and came across a can of Hormel all beef chili. Not as good as homemade of course but not horrible when in a pinch. The cogs started turning and this is what I came up with.

The sausage.
005.jpg

Got the chili in a pan.
004.jpg

Cut up some bell pepper and more jalapenos.
003.jpg

Butterfly the sausages and into a skillet.
006.jpg

Get the cheddar cream sauce going.
007.jpg

Get out the big torts, cut a slice of extra sharp cheddar in half, lay cheese on the tort, and add some of the veggies.
008.jpg

Now for the sausage.
009.jpg

Fold the ends over and roll it into a burrito.
010.jpg

Two of them into a small baking dish.
011.jpg

Here's something I don't believe you have ever seen me do: dinner in the oven. The weather was horrid. Cold, raining like crazy, and the wind was screaming. Actually, everything is cooked so all I'm doing is heating it up. Hopefully I won't lose my man card for this.
012.jpg

Hot and out of the oven. Smothered with the chili, cheddar cream sauce, and garnished with green onions.
013.jpg

014.jpg

And of course the close up cut shot. Sloppy, sloppy.
015.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen...this was crazy good!! So simple, so quick to make, and off the charts flavor wise. I couldn't believe it but Tracy ate the entire thing. I was expecting her to have leftovers for lunch the next day. Nope. That sausage, the chili, and that cheese sauce just came together for a fantastic experience. Cannot wait to do this one again, and Tracy is already asking for the second go-around. Far be it from me to disappoint :emoji_wink:

Well, gonna call this one done. Got some stuff to get together for a nice NY Strip dinner this evening. Y'all take care, stay safe, and I'll see everybody soon.

Robert

That is one big messy plate! Just the way I like mine...more please! Looks delicious!

Ryan

Wow Robert! That’s over the top incredible!!!! Perfect meal for crappy weather! As always your concept and execution is incredible💪 I’d eat a mess of those and go back again after a nice nap! Points for sure!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Robert there is nothing wrong with using premade ingredients and then elevating them. You sure did that!! I’d murder that thing lol

Plate licking good, and when the wife wants seconds or for you to do it again soon.
You need no more pats on the back than that statement right there.

1670673528327.png

And I also would love to help clean up a couple plates of those

David

Reactions: JLeonard
Another great idea! They look good enough for me to copy ;-)
And hang on to that "Man Card". I haven't cooked outside in almost a month.....

Man that looks great. Gonna have to hang onto this one for a quick dinner idea. And those flavors are right down bryces alley!
Jim

Nice!

Sometimes things just work out great when you're in a pinch and this is one of those times!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky