chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmericle11

Original poster
Dec 27, 2021
First try at spatchcock chicken seasoned with my own homemade rub and bbq sauce. Started smoker at 225 till internal temp was about 115. Then took the temp to 300-350 on the smoker. Maybe next time wait till 120-125 till I crank up the heat because the skin kind of burnt. Aside from that chicken was tender and juicy.

Attachments

• CFE7208C-601D-468E-ADCD-9D6ED641A1A1.jpeg
    CFE7208C-601D-468E-ADCD-9D6ED641A1A1.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 6E98FD57-07B6-40B2-B4D7-ADA093ADBE51.jpeg
    6E98FD57-07B6-40B2-B4D7-ADA093ADBE51.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 40
Doesn't look burnt to me, it looks like it came out perfect. I also spatchcock all my birds, I find that they cook much more evenly.

Great looking bird! I love spatchcock method. If you want to try a twist my family likes the “Brick Chicken” which is essentially spatchcock, but breast side down on indirect heat at 450 degrees. Then place a greased cookie sheet or CI on the cavity, then a foil wrapped brick for weight to press it down. Towards the end, use spatula to move over to direct to sear the skin!

Great looking bird! I love spatchcock method. If you want to try a twist my family likes the “Brick Chicken” which is essentially spatchcock, but breast side down on indirect heat at 450 degrees. Then place a greased cookie sheet or CI on the cavity, then a foil wrapped brick for weight to press it down. Towards the end, use spatula to move over to direct to sear the skin!
I may have to try that at least once.

Doesn't look burnt to me, it looks like it came out perfect. I also spatchcock all my birds, I find that they cook much more evenly.
The “done” picture is when it isn’t quite done just yet. I believe the temp it was at when I took that picture it was at about 155 or so.

I have to add too, the wing portion was probably the best part. The skin was crispy and the inside was not juicy but most definitely not dry either. I don’t know how to explain it, other than it was better than a deep fried wing from BWW’s

Looks good at that point for sure . How much sugar is in your rub ? Might be something to consider for high temp cooks .

Looking at the before pic , and the " 155 " pic it looks like the spots heavy with rub were the spots that were starting to get dark in the almost done pic .
That being said , burnt and dark are different things .
I bet it was great .

Reactions: zwiller
Looks good. Doesn't look burnt any more than a brisket looks burnt. Did you brine it? I cook mine pretty much the same way with a brining step.

I am with the others and does not look burnt to me and looks great! Breaking down the bird is the way to go. I go one step farther and halve it. Easier to hand but a little less sexy... :emoji_laughing:

It's gotta be something like Rich says, sugar carmelization preventing the skin fat from frying up like the wings did. Just a wee bit heavy on the rub IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: bmericle11
Looks good at that point for sure . How much sugar is in your rub ? Might be something to consider for high temp cooks .

Looking at the before pic , and the " 155 " pic it looks like the spots heavy with rub were the spots that were starting to get dark in the almost done pic .
That being said , burnt and dark are different things .
I bet it was great .
It was really good. Wife wouldn’t eat the skin tho lol

This was just salt and pepper on the skin , but a sugar heavy injected and soaked brine .
Super hot and fast on a Weber kettle . Probably 450 or higher . I think the whole cook time was just over an hour . Looks burnt ? Yup . Taste was perfect and super juicy .

20201011_162600.jpg
Looked fine after it was broke down .
20201011_165012.jpg

Reactions: bmericle11
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky