Chicken time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skinnerc06

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
about how long and at what temp do yall find smokes the best.. say a 5 pound chicken. Im gunna use the beer stand and all that too.

Depends on what you are smoking with ... I use my propane modified ECB at 300º to 325º until the internal temp reaches 170º or slow smoked at 250º for about 5 hours.
Hope that is useful to you ... good luck and send pix if you can.

Thanks. Yeah, I think the chicken is gunna be my first test. Im just starting out, dont wanna spend too much money the first try haha. Ill take pics for sure.

I use a charcoal fired Weber Kettle for small smokes. The chickens are normally 3.5-4.0 lbers each. At 225 -250 degrees, usually takes 2 3/4 - 3.0 hrs. I was using a probe thermometer, but now, its all time and they always come out around 165 -170 degrees after I "plug'em". Remember, they will still cook a bit after you take them out of the smoker.

Hope this helps ya out.

2-3 hrs on my smoker, still have leather skin, but that doesn't bother me, I'm after the rest, turning up the heat or placing on a grill to crisp the skin seems to work OK.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky