• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chicken time

skinnerc06

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 5, 2007
about how long and at what temp do yall find smokes the best.. say a 5 pound chicken. Im gunna use the beer stand and all that too.

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
Depends on what you are smoking with ... I use my propane modified ECB at 300º to 325º until the internal temp reaches 170º or slow smoked at 250º for about 5 hours.
Hope that is useful to you ... good luck and send pix if you can.

skinnerc06

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 5, 2007
Thanks. Yeah, I think the chicken is gunna be my first test. Im just starting out, dont wanna spend too much money the first try haha. Ill take pics for sure.

crewdawg52

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2007
I use a charcoal fired Weber Kettle for small smokes. The chickens are normally 3.5-4.0 lbers each. At 225 -250 degrees, usually takes 2 3/4 - 3.0 hrs. I was using a probe thermometer, but now, its all time and they always come out around 165 -170 degrees after I "plug'em". Remember, they will still cook a bit after you take them out of the smoker.

Hope this helps ya out.

virgo53

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 17, 2007
2-3 hrs on my smoker, still have leather skin, but that doesn't bother me, I'm after the rest, turning up the heat or placing on a grill to crisp the skin seems to work OK.

Mike

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.