Chicken Liver Pate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
Here's a basic recipe that has been part of our family holidays for as long as I remember.

Cook some chicken liver till tender, fry some bacon and dice some onion then toss it in you food processor along with some mayo until it's ground fine. Chill it overnight to let the flavors meld, then get out a box of Ritz crackers and enjoy.

Here's my recipe;
Chicken Liver 200 g
Bacon 100 g
Onion 110 g
Mayo 90 g +/-

Basically a 2-1-1 ratio and add the mayo to get a creamy texture you like.

pate.JPG

My mom would make a liver pate but a search of my recipe files doesn't turn it up :/

Maybe I can find it in one of her favorite cookbooks.

Never tried liver pate with bacon but def will next time. We use butter instead of mayo (not as much as mayo). Sometimes I also add heavy cream.

For extra flavour (this is flavour bomb already) duck fat instead of butter.

My secret pate ingredient is brandy.

Last edited:
I just made a batch of chicken liver/gizzard pate which also had most of the ingredients you gents mentioned, but like AS, use butter instead of mayo. I also added garlic to my batch.

This was my first time with bacon however, and it made a big difference.

I just made a batch of chicken liver/gizzard pate which also had most of the ingredients you gents mentioned, but like AS, use butter instead of mayo. I also added garlic to my batch.

This was my first time with bacon however, and it made a big difference.
Did you stir fry the gizzards?
That's how I've done it....but I will pressure cook them first next time.

X3 on using Butter. That and a classic Pate spice blend that adds lots of flavor. On the Calves Liver, yes like Pork Liver will work but it is stronger than Poultry Liver. If you are a fan of the flavor you will enjoy it in Pate. If serving guests, I suggest an overnight soak in milk with a bit of salt or a split a splash of Soy Sauce, what I use. The soak will mellow the strong taste. A bit of Pate Spice will add balance as well. This is a generic term for the blend as there are many combinations. Search Pate Spice Recipe and look for a blend that sounds good to you. A little spice goes a long way so make half a recipe and add to taste...JJ

Did you stir fry the gizzards?
That's how I've done it....but I will pressure cook them first next time.

My wife loves gizzards so I frequently make them. She likes them butter tender - just about as tender as liver so I boil them in heavily salted water until the water is almost gone - usually a few hours. Pressure cooking would work well, but I like the gelatin that remains after the stove top pot cools.

Does anyone care to share their recipe using butter ?

Yep, 90g of cold butter cut in cubes added a few at a time until incorporated...JJ

90g of cold butter to how much liver JJ? I might be off to the store again.

We hijacked your thread , yet no recipe posted. Sorry. Recipe is the same but add butter instead of mayo in the food processor with liver (still hot).

Not a problem with the hijack, I learned a few things and that's what its all about. What's the reason for incorporating the liver to the mix while still hot?

90g of cold butter to how much liver JJ? I might be off to the store again.

This is for the 200g of Liver in your original recipe. It's 45% of the livers weight...JJ

Reactions: DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky