Chicken leg quarters were on sale at 99 cents/lb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
Went to the local grocer last Friday and they had Foster Farms chicken leg quarters on sale at 99 cents / lb with 4 in a bulk pack.  For $4 for the bulk pack, what the heck.

Brought them home and brined them for 18 hours in 8 cups water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup molasses, and 1/2 cup brown sugar.   The molasses turns them a funky color before they are cooked but it really makes a difference.

On Saturday afternoon I dumped the brine, dried them off, then sprinkled with McCormick Sweet and Smoky, my go-to commercial rub when I don't want to make my own.

Fired up the Weber with Kingsford Blue Bag, mesquite, and hickory then dry smoked them for 2 hours at 275-290F.  Internal temp was 172 then I glazed them with Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar BBQ sauce spiked with Kentucky bourbon and apricot-pineapple preserves.  Cooked for 20 more minutes until the sauce was carmelized nicely. 

Foster Farms got a bad rap here recently due to Salmonella, but I cooked mine to the proper temp so we had no problems at all.  Delicious.

Before, during, and after shots below.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky