Chicken it's what's for dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Mar 22, 2008
Florida
I did a couple chickens today along with a couple packs of legs. I used orange wood for the smoke. I put the whole chickens in a brine last night I used kosher salt, light brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, and sliced up a fresh orange and added that too. I put the legs into brine today for about three hours. Pulled the whole chickens out and rinsed them and set them on a rack to dry while I got the smoker going added just salt, pepper, and put them into a 275 degree smoker. They were going to fast so I cut the smoker back to 225 and decided I'd just put them in the oven under the broiler to crisp the skin. About two hours before dinner time I got the legs out of the brine and rinsed them and put them in. After the broiler while I was slicing the whole birds I put the legs in to crisp up. Overall it was good but I had hoped for a little more orange flavor than what I got.

6007ff71_DSC02891.jpg

a440a25a_DSC02892.jpg

67d2d12e_DSC02895.jpg

981d0e66_DSC02897.jpg

Were those birds originally from the Nevada Proving Grounds?!? 
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif
  J/K  They look good...better than what I had for dinner! 

Them look good Piney and I don't even like chicken.
icon_wink.gif

I'll have to give your brine a try someday,

icon_cool.gif

Yes sir those are some fine looking and I bet tastey birds you have there Jerry.

Great looking Q Jerry... but you're killimg me as I just had oatmeal!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky