Chicken Italian sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Using tropics tropics recipe for chicken Italian sausage again . When thighs go on sale , I make 5 lbs. of this . I follow his recipe , but add more fennel .
Ingredients for 5 LBS. Here's the ingredients copied from his thread .

5 lbs. Chicken Thighs skin on Ground
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt

8 oz. ice water

1 1/2 Tbsp. Fennel seed cracked

1 tsp. coarse Black Pepper

1/2 Tbsp. sugar

1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)

1/2 tsp. caraway seeds

1 Tbsp. Basil

1 Tbsp. Oregano

1 Tbsp. Parsley
1 or 2 garlic toes
8 Tbs Soy Protien Concentrate
1 1/2 Tbs. Dextrose
1 level tsp cure #1

20190712_131752.jpg
Leave the skin on , bone them out cut into chunks .
20190712_132235.jpg
Time to buy a lottery ticket
20190712_133552.jpg
Add seasonings and let sit over night .
20190712_133944.jpg
Next morning set up grinder .
20190713_110829.jpg 20190713_111113.jpg
At this point I add the binder and the liquid . I use dry white wine . Only add what it needs .
Clean up this step , meat back in fridge .
Then set up the stuffer and get the casings ready .
Only way to keep natural casings . Always ready . Zero blowouts .
20190713_143258.jpg 20190713_144511.jpg
Stuffed and drying .
20190713_150633.jpg 20190713_150834.jpg
Cooked some up last night . Love that cast iron grill pan . Cooks perfect sausage .
20190720_175227.jpg 20190720_175328.jpg
Puts some color on , then finish in the oven .
20190720_182610.jpg 20190720_185206.jpg
Makes a great meal . Butter garlic and Olive oil on the pasta . This has perfect texture and flavor . This is my go to chicken sausage .
20190720_191041.jpg 20190720_191210.jpg
Thanks again Richie .

Man those look amazing!! What’s the purpose of the cure in a fresh type sausage like this?

Thanks . I followed Tropics recipe , but I add it to alot of the fresh sausage I do like Bratwurst and Polish . I like the added safety factor with the chicken .

Reactions: jcam222
Does the skin grind up easy? I would have thought that it would try to stretch or smear. Final product looks delicious.

What’s the purpose of the cure in a fresh type sausage like this?
Nice looking sausage, chopsaw! Yummy! I missed cure #1 in you recipe originally, while reading through. Then, looking at the pictures you have posted and based on nice pink color of your sausages I was wondering if I missed it while reading... Sure, I did.... Personally, I completely justify using Cure #1 even in fresh sausages, especially chicken sausage...

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
I used that recipe also. Everyone that has tried them , loves them. I think down to 1 package. Need to spin up another batch.

Reactions: chopsaw
Does the skin grind up easy? I would have thought that it would try to stretch or smear. Final product looks delicious.
Grinds up just fine . I keep all my sausage meat right around 32 degrees , so I'm sure that helps . Thanks for the comment .

Nice looking sausage, chopsaw! Yummy!
Thanks . I like the cure in brats , polish and any chicken sausage I make gets it . Try this one you won't be sorry .

Nice looking sausage chop, I haven't gotten into the sausage making aspect of smoking yet, but it's in the near future. After bacon that is.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: jcam222
Thank you Rich for the mention,the cure isn't needed but it doesn't hurt and you can always smoke some.
Richie
You bet bud ,,, it's a great sausage .
I used that recipe also. Everyone that has tried them , loves them. I think down to 1 package. Need to spin up another batch.
Yes they do . It's a favorite around here .

Nice looking sausage chop, I haven't gotten into the sausage making aspect of smoking yet, but it's in the near future. After bacon that is.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris . You're gonna be hooked on curing , and making sausage .

Great thread Chop.I need to try it
Thank you .
It's a perfect spice blend . Tropics nailed that .

LIKE. "time to buy lottery ticket" LOL!!! Totally making some of this when I get some time. How hard was the deboning ?

EDIT Congrats on the carousel ride!

Nice looking sausage there friend. I'd be happy with a sammie with fried onions and peppers.

Warren
Thanks Warren . Sounds like a great idea .

LIKE. "time to buy lottery ticket" LOL!!! Totally making some of this when I get some time. How hard was the deboning ?
Yeah I bought 3 trays of thighs . One was a bit short , so I grabbed 2 thighs out of the next tray . Cut it up and threw them in the bowl . You saw the number , lol . Sharp filet knife makes the bone out easy . I used to par freeze , but hurts my frost bite finger tips .

points! this looks great
Thanks Eddie , enjoy the cooler temps today .

points! this looks great

Awesome looking sausages! What size grind did you use and did you grind twice? Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky