Chicken-Fried Round Steak w/Chanterelle Mushroom Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snorkelinggirl

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 15, 2012
Nothing new or creative here, but who doesn't love a good chicken-fried steak?

This is a meal that my husband and I have been enjoying weekly while the chanterelle mushrooms are available. Start with a tenderized round steak (a.k.a. cube steak), or a regular round steak that you beat the crap out of with a meat tenderizer. Cut into reasonable portions and trim all of the connective tissue and silver skin off. I like to generously salt and pepper the steaks a couple of days before cooking them as I think that helps tenderize them.

For my breading I make up a breading station with a bowl of seasoned flour (flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper), a bowl with a couple of eggs scrambled with a shot of milk and a shake or two of Frank's Red Hot pepper sauce, and a bowl of plain panko crumbs. I take each steak at a time and first dip the steaks into seasoned flour, then into the egg mixture, and then finally into the panko crumbs. Then place the steak on a plate and move to the next one. I like to let my coated steaks sit on the plate at room temp for about 15 minutes before cooking because it seems to help the breading adhere better.

Fry the steaks in a cast iron pan that has a generous layer of melted butter or oil. I usually need to add additional butter when I flip the steaks so that the coating gets evenly and nicely browned. Brown for a few minutes a side or until golden brown, then place the steaks on a paper towel lined plate.

While cooking the steaks, I took a pile of chanterelle mushrooms that have been washed and cut into big pieces. I throw those into a pan and saute until all the liquid they have released has cooked off. When the mushrooms are cooked dry, I add some cream and reduce that until it is a nice thick sauce. I season with salt and pepper, and finish it with a pat of butter. You could add finely minced shallot or garlic to the mushrooms if you wanted. I personally don't do this with chanterelles because their taste is so delicate and fabulous that I like to keep it very simple.

Here is a plated picture of the chicken-fried round steak with the chanterelle mushroom sauce, mashed roasted buttercup squash, and steamed romanesco broccoli.

A closeup of the round steak with the breading. The breading was crisp and delicious. This was the first time I added a shake of Frank's Red Hot sauce to the liquid in the breading mix, and it was a great addition. And the chanterelle mushroom sauce puts it over the top.

Thanks for looking at my post, and I hope that everyone has a great night!
Clarissa

Reactions: disco
A classic dish, well done. I love the step by step and Qview too. We aren't big on chicken fried stake up here but I will give this a try.

Disco

Very nice  Clarissa, we also try to do these quite a bit in the family, - like the panko, I usually just use regular bread crumbs will give this a try next time. Nice post, thanks

Very nice meal.

Thanks so much! Have a great day!

A classic dish, well done. I love the step by step and Qview too. We aren't big on chicken fried stake up here but I will give this a try.

Disco

Thank you very much, Disco. And thank you for the points as well!

We get a 1/4 cow once or twice a year from a local farmer, and it always includes quite a bit of round steak. This is my favorite way to use round steak, and if it already comes tenderized from the butcher, even better! When chanterelles aren't in season we just make a normal pan gravy with the drippings.

Have a great day!
Clarissa

Very nice  Clarissa, we also try to do these quite a bit in the family, - like the panko, I usually just use regular bread crumbs will give this a try next time. Nice post, thanks

Thanks very much for checking out my post. Panko is great in this because I think you end up with a lighter and crisper breading. Give it a try sometime and I hope you will like the results! Round steak is a great flavorful cut for the money!

Have a great day!
Clarissa

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky