Chicken Brine Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krj

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
So I found @pops6927 thread on brining whole chickens. I've never done any brining, and more often than not I do thighs, but occasionally I do breasts and halves. I like the idea of this brine because I'm currently keto so CARBS-R-BAD! But not having any brining experience I'm curious about the volumes I need to be mixing. I'll likely only be doing shorter 3-4 day brines, and maybe a dozen thighs at a time.

Just looking for some guidance on if I need to adjust the measurements because of the difference between whole/parts. Also, do I need to adjust the brining times as well?

Standard brine,
1 gallon cold water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
dissolve all and chill well then insert the meat. Weight id down so that all parts of the meat is submerged.

Pink curing salt, #1, Prague and the like is for curing meat when your cooking temps will keep the meat in the 40 to 140 degrees within a 4 hour period or longer.

Brining in general is a must on poultry especially breast. Pop's brine is a cure and a equilibrium brine so no adjustments needed for parts vs whole bird. Brine time is another story. Longer brining means deeper penetration. There are guys who prefer a light cure/short brine for chix. I have not tried that yet but plan to. I normally use Pop's low salt version and regular sugar and inject a few days. Alternately, I did a quarter strength salt version once and dusted with rub that had salt in it and was good too.

For a small batch of brine, use 50% the weight of the meat.. Add the meat weight and water weight and add 2% salt and 1% sugar and 0.25% cure#1...
Insure the chicken is below 38F and also the brine/cure solution and the refer...
Add the chicken to the brine/cure and refer for up to 2 weeks is fine.. Small batches is best to be brined in a zip bag..

WHOW! Not for chicken 3-4 days no!
Poultry overnight at most.

All depends on what you're after . I've use alot of Pop's brine on poultry . I've gone 7 to 10 days with whole birds ( that were also injected ) and chicken parts . All with great results . Smoked , grilled , roasted and even deep fried .
I use it at 1/2 cup salt , 1/2 cup both white and brown sugar .

I see Dave posted above ,, don't be afraid to go up to 2 weeks . As long as you know the fridge temps are good .

Reactions: zwiller
So I found @pops6927 thread on brining whole chickens. I've never done any brining, and more often than not I do thighs, but occasionally I do breasts and halves. I like the idea of this brine because I'm currently keto so CARBS-R-BAD! But not having any brining experience I'm curious about the volumes I need to be mixing. I'll likely only be doing shorter 3-4 day brines, and maybe a dozen thighs at a time.

Just looking for some guidance on if I need to adjust the measurements because of the difference between whole/parts. Also, do I need to adjust the brining times as well?

I think I can add some resources that will assist in addition with what the guys have already posted.

To begin with, you can brine without cure salt which is the most common practice, or you can brine with the addition of cure salt which will now make the meat like the state fair smoked turkey drumbsticks.
The difference is simply based on what you want to achieve and the flavor between the two approaches (cure vs no cure) will be what you base your decision off of.

I do both approaches depending on what I am trying to produce in the end with Turkey I have yet to cure brine chicken but I regular brine whole chicken, chicken breast, and pork loin/backstrap all the time :)

Here's some general brining info.

Click here for a good write up on Equilibrium brining.

Click here for a good Equilibrium brining Calculator.

Pops info is really good so combine info from his thread along with what you read in the links above and you should be able to get your chicken brined well. The key is to NOT impart too much salt into the chicken hence the need to understand the amounts of salt you use and understand the calculators.

I mostly do the simplest brine in the world... salt + water. When done brining I just pat the chicken somewhat dry then season with everything EXCEPT salt (I go POG).

Know thighs don't really ever need brining BUT if you are using pops cured brine you will get awesome cured thighs that taste like the state fair thighs!

With whole chickens and breast I always recommend brining. The choice is cured or non-cured for the flavor you want.

I hope this info helps! :)

Reactions: drdon and zwiller
krj krj , I do alot of thighs myself , in the same amounts you mentioned above . I tried different ways with Pop's . Time wise and injected or how I cooked it .
daveomak daveomak 's phosphate injection on whole birds makes for fantastic pulled chicken .
This is a result of a Dave injected bird . Both white and dark meat .
cured.jpg

Here's a tray of thighs . With and without Pop's at the low salt rate .
All from the same tray , cooked the same time on a weber kettle .
Just salt and pepper no cure or brine .
20190323_165250.jpg

After 5 days in Pop's brine , cooked at the same time , same temp as the thighs above .
20190324_165552.jpg
You can see the difference . The Pop's thighs are just full of moisture . The skin does not render as much because they are so moist , but very tender and edible . I actually prefer it like that .
Both thighs were good , just 2 different things .
I know you were looking for ratio answers , but thought you might be interested in some of the pics I took while I was doin some learning myself .

For a small batch of brine, use 50% the weight of the meat.. Add the meat weight and water weight and add 2% salt and 1% sugar and 0.25% cure#1...
Insure the chicken is below 38F and also the brine/cure solution and the refer...
Add the chicken to the brine/cure and refer for up to 2 weeks is fine.. Small batches is best to be brined in a zip bag..

I just want to make sure I got this in my head correctly. So for an example, the numbers I'm doing below this is correct of what you're recommending Dave?

10lbs meat
5lbs water
1 lb salt
.5 lb sugar
.038 lb cure

I think I can add some resources that will assist in addition with what the guys have already posted.

To begin with, you can brine without cure salt which is the most common practice, or you can brine with the addition of cure salt which will now make the meat like the state fair smoked turkey drumbsticks.
The difference is simply based on what you want to achieve and the flavor between the two approaches (cure vs no cure) will be what you base your decision off of.

I do both approaches depending on what I am trying to produce in the end with Turkey I have yet to cure brine chicken but I regular brine whole chicken, chicken breast, and pork loin/backstrap all the time :)

Here's some general brining info.

Click here for a good write up on Equilibrium brining.

Click here for a good Equilibrium brining Calculator.

Pops info is really good so combine info from his thread along with what you read in the links above and you should be able to get your chicken brined well. The key is to NOT impart too much salt into the chicken hence the need to understand the amounts of salt you use and understand the calculators.

I mostly do the simplest brine in the world... salt + water. When done brining I just pat the chicken somewhat dry then season with everything EXCEPT salt (I go POG).

Know thighs don't really ever need brining BUT if you are using pops cured brine you will get awesome cured thighs that taste like the state fair thighs!

With whole chickens and breast I always recommend brining. The choice is cured or non-cured for the flavor you want.

I hope this info helps! :)

I'll give that a good look. Thanks!

krj krj , I do alot of thighs myself , in the same amounts you mentioned above . I tried different ways with Pop's . Time wise and injected or how I cooked it .
daveomak daveomak 's phosphate injection on whole birds makes for fantastic pulled chicken .
This is a result of a Dave injected bird . Both white and dark meat .
View attachment 402375

Here's a tray of thighs . With and without Pop's at the low salt rate .
All from the same tray , cooked the same time on a weber kettle .
Just salt and pepper no cure or brine .
View attachment 402376

After 5 days in Pop's brine , cooked at the same time , same temp as the thighs above .
View attachment 402377
You can see the difference . The Pop's thighs are just full of moisture . The skin does not render as much because they are so moist , but very tender and edible . I actually prefer it like that .
Both thighs were good , just 2 different things .
I know you were looking for ratio answers , but thought you might be interested in some of the pics I took while I was doin some learning myself .

Wow that's an big difference in the final appearance. How are the skins of the brined bird compared to the brineless?

I just want to make sure I got this in my head correctly. So for an example, the numbers I'm doing below this is correct of what you're recommending Dave?

10lbs meat + 5lbs water = 15# X 454 = 6,810 grams of stuff
15# X 0.02 = 0.3# salt X 454 = 136 grams salt
15# X 0.01 = 0.15# sugar X 454 = 68 grams sugar
15# X 0.0025 = 0.0375# cure#1 X 454 = 17 grams cure#1

I convert everything to grams because it makes more sense to me and it becomes easier to convert...

AND.... STPP 6810 X 0.004 = 27 grams STPP

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Wow that's an big difference in the final appearance. How are the skins of the brined bird compared to the brineless?
The skin is very tender , and very good . Those were indirect on a kettle at 400 f or so . You have to be careful at those temps , or the sugars in the brine will burn .

AND.... STPP 6810 X 0.004 = 27 grams STPP

Conversions to more precise units, I like it!

STPP wasn't mentioned in your original reply to this thread. I'm not familiar with it. What exactly is it, and what does it do for a brine? I'll admit I haven't done much research on brining, but I can't remember seeing it before.

Sodium triphosphate/Formula

STPP is used as a preservative for poultry, meat, and seafood. It is also added, along with other sodium polyphosphates, to processed cheeses as an emulsifier. The polyphosphates are negatively charged chains of phosphorus and oxygen that attract water molecules.

Oh that's cool, so where does one find this? I googled it but all I'm finding is non-food grade.

I probably won't have the STPP but I think this weekend I'm going to test out this brine on some thighs to cook next weekend, as well as start brining a pork butt to try and make pulled porkstrami out of either next weekend or the weekend after.

Oh that's cool, so where does one find this? I googled it but all I'm finding is non-food grade.

I probably won't have the STPP but I think this weekend I'm going to test out this brine on some thighs to cook next weekend, as well as start brining a pork butt to try and make pulled porkstrami out of either next weekend or the weekend after.

Don't fret. If you can't find STPP you should be able to rock and roll without it... unless Dave points out some safety issue with omitting it (I don't think that's the case but he is super knowledgeable so I defer to him on safety).

Chicken is cheap so experiment away! (safely so don't over apply the cure)
You can do a salt + water brine. A salt + sugar + water brine. A salt+sugar+water+cure cure/brine. Add STTP, spices/herbs, etc. etc. You can combo up until you find your magic brine and/or cure combination :)

Hell when I do Turkey drums and thighs to be like state fair smoked turkey I don't even worry about the cure getting all the way through the meat (it usually does though) because I'm hot smoking and trying to add the cured flavor. Since it is hot smoked the cure's bacteria protection purpose/properties are not even a factor.

Gear up and smoke away! I look forward to your new brining and curing adventure(s). It is exciting to see someone getting into it lol :emoji_nerd:

Reactions: mushroomboots
Ames Phos ....

http://store.theingredientstore.com/amesphos.aspx

16 oz. Amesphos, specialty sodium triphosphate blend for meats, seafood and poultry.

AmesPhos improves texture, maintains that fresh-made taste, and reduces bacteria.

Phosphates are used in a wide range of processed meat, poultry and seafood in which they perform several functions. Phosphates improve the retention of natural fluids in the animal muscle that would otherwise be lost in the aging, cooking or freezing process. They also act as protein solubilizers to aid in binding processed meats. Their presence results in improved texture, flavor and color.

Due to a unique instantizing process and the combination of short and long chain phosphates, AmesPhos will dissolve completely at temperatures as low as 20 F and in the presence of salt. Additionally, AmesPhos will dissolve completely in hard water and will not cause phosphate precipitation.

Specifications:
Combination of: Sodium Tripolyphosphate; Sodium Pyrophosphate and Sodium Hexametaphosphate
Appearance: White granular powder

Advantages:
  • Improved cooked flavor.
  • Reduced loss of meat fluids.
  • Increased tenderness and juiciness
  • Improved firmer texture
  • Better and faster color development
Suggested usage levels:
One third to one half of one percent (0.3 to 0.5%) of the finished product weight.

For home sausage making: Use approximately one fourth to one half teaspoon per pound of meat. Dissolve the phosphate in water before mixing into the meat mixture. Mix into meat until well distributed, mix for approximately five minutes.

For dipping or soaking applications: AmesPhos is dissolved in water (5.0 to 7.0 % solution at 60 to 70 F, typically). Solution concentration will vary by application. The solution should be chilled, (33 to 35 F, typically) prior to use. The product is then dipped into the solution. This method is used primarily for seafood (scallops, shrimp, fish fillets, approx. a 2 minute dip.) and poultry (marinating of strips or breasts, 6 to 8 hour marinating). The age of the seafood will affect moisture retention so it is important to minimize any delay between harvest and phosphate treatment. Ask us about other marinades and pumping applications for meat, poultry and seafood.

The information and recommendations contained herein are, to our knowledge, presented in good faith and believed to be accurate. Because of the conditions of use, many of which are beyond our control, we make no warranties or representations, expressed or implied. The information is supplied upon the condition that the companies and persons receiving same will perform tests to determine the suitability for and purpose prior to use. In no event, however, will Ames Company, Inc. be responsible for damages of any nature resulting from the use or reliance of any information contained herein. Furthermore, nothing contained herein should be constructed as permission or recommendation to, infringe on any patent. No agent, representative or employee is authorized to vary any of the terms of this notice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky