@chef jimmyj Pesto

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
chef jimmyj chef jimmyj

I've been making pesto in big batches for years now, my Nona always hot water bath canned it and as far as we know it never killed or even made them sick. But for the life of me I can't seem to find even a pressure canning recipe if fact everyone seems to think it will go rancid or worse.
What is your thought on this as far as food safety goes.

Thanks a bunch.
Dan

The canning folks are really cautious types and I understand why with pesto being not just low acid but zero acid. I grew basil a few times and always had bumper crops so I understand your dilemma. I researched this myself and think it's best to freeze it but maybe Chef JJ can help. Maybe Nona's recipe had acid in it?

Reactions: TNJAKE
I vacuum seal my pesto with a little lemon juice in it and freeze.

Not too sure about how to go about canning. I read somewhere about preserving it without the cheese and then adding fresh grated cheese when making it?

Reactions: forktender
Freeze it. Lasts for years. Ice cube trays work great, or Rubbermaid baby food containers that are used for homemade baby food.
20200717_112946.jpg

The canning folks are really cautious types and I understand why with pesto being not just low acid but zero acid. I grew basil a few times and always had bumper crops so I understand your dilemma. I researched this myself and think it's best to freeze it but maybe Chef JJ can help. Maybe Nona's recipe had acid in it?
I was thinking nothing a little citric acid couldn't help, but I'm not willing to risk it unless I can find a recipe.
I know my Nona's recipe was basil, salt, black pepper, pine nuts, Star EVOO and Romano cheese it didn't have any lemon juice or citric acid in it. Unless I find a recipe I'm just going to freeze it like I used to do.

Reactions: xray
I was thinking nothing a little citric acid couldn't help, but I'm not willing to risk it unless I can find a recipe.
I know my Nona's recipe was basil, salt, black pepper, pine nuts, Star EVOO and Romano cheese it didn't have any lemon juice or citric acid in it. Unless I find a recipe I'm just going to freeze it like I used to do.

Here’s mine.

• Love
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky