Cheese time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Greetings all,
Had a beautiful and crisp morning here in PA, perfect for smoking cheese at least for a few hours.
E9842656-05F0-4D56-9774-F9036C4B0847.jpeg

I did 5 blocks- a sharp cheddar, horseradish cheddar, pepper jack, Gouda, and a Swiss with sundried tomatoes and bacon. I used 100% cherry pellets for about 2 hours until my temps crept to 90 and I shut it down.

All vacuum sealed and resting comfortably...

E30A5783-3C81-4444-9C5C-089DC3D1547E.jpeg

The vacuum sealer is a game changer for me. Some initial tasting was really good. Much better than using a blend pellet like I was before, less ashy if that makes sense.

Anyway, happy cheese season all!

I was originally just sealing with plastic wrap and a ziploc bag. I'm sure that worked fine but not for long term storage. I'm hoping to space these out a bit but there's always an excuse to smoke more!

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Nice looking cheese, it took on some good color.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: JCAP
The older the cheese gets the better in my opinion. I always toss on two or three blocks of store brand Monterrey Jack when I'm smoking cheese and don't touch them for at least 9 months. It turns a 2 dollar chunk of cheese into something amazing. Next time I am gonna do at least 4 chunks if not more.

Inspiring! What articles or tutorials do you guys recommend for learning how to start cold smoking cheeses?

I mostly floated around here and read a bunch of cheese threads. I also watched a bunch of YouTube videos. There’s tons of great info on this site to make some awesome cheese!

Greetings all,
Had a beautiful and crisp morning here in PA, perfect for smoking cheese at least for a few hours.
View attachment 408541

I did 5 blocks- a sharp cheddar, horseradish cheddar, pepper jack, Gouda, and a Swiss with sundried tomatoes and bacon. I used 100% cherry pellets for about 2 hours until my temps crept to 90 and I shut it down.

All vacuum sealed and resting comfortably...

View attachment 408542

The vacuum sealer is a game changer for me. Some initial tasting was really good. Much better than using a blend pellet like I was before, less ashy if that makes sense.

Anyway, happy cheese season all!
Cherry is the perfect smoke for cheese. With cherry its pretty hard to over smoke.
The people that claim you have to wait weeks and months before they can eat it crack me up! My cheese smoked with cherry is ready to eat the next day. Nice work!

Thanks!

I will say the only disappointment was the sundried tomato swiss. Things didn't work out for that one....

The really good thing is that all the blocks are gone and I need to smoke more this weekend!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky