Cheese - Resting Process

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

What do you recommend for resting smoked cheese before vacuum sealing? I’ve seen some different approaches, so hoping for some clarifications.

Ive seen some sit in the fridge, uncovered for 24 hours. I’ve seen some wrap in butcher paper. I’ve seen some wrap in plastic wrap. I’ve seen some not vacuum seal for a couple of days. My head is spinning.

I dry the condensation with paper towels after the cheese has cold down on the counter, then fridge overnight then vac seal. Really you need to try something then move on to what you like.

Reactions: Sowsage
I rest in fridge until all condensation has dried up.. then vac seal ...
I dry the condensation with paper towels after the cheese has cold down on the counter, then fridge overnight then vac seal. Really you need to try something then move on to what you like.

Thank you, both. When you read in the fridge before vac sealing, do you have the cheese in anything? Or just open/exposed?

Myself.. I think drying with paper towels is ok.. as long as you blot and don't wipe... My believe is that when you wipe it your pulling some of the smoke flavor back off from it... now whether that's true or not I can't say... but it's my thinking ...

I do the same as most have said. I just take the cheese from the smoker & put it on a cooling rack in the fridge uncovered for 24 hours. I don’t dry it off first, it will dry on it’s own in the fridge. Then vac pack it & back into the fridge. It will last for a couple of years in the fridge. However your fridge will smell like smoke for a few days after.
Al

Exactly what the others have said. One tip though is make sure you have drank enough beer to where there is enough room in the fridge for the cheese. Then refill.
Cheese20.jpg

Getting good results with smoking cheese was not easy for me. I tried lots of stuff, long aging rests, rests before vac sealing, etc and not much helped and the cheese was still rough tasting. Pretty sure it was Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 that suggested it to me: use dust. HUGE improvement. Perfect in a few days so no need to wait or rest. I throw all in a ziplock right after smoking and put in fridge to vac seal when I have time.

If you let your cheese warm a bit at room temps you should have no condensation from the smoker.

Reactions: Murray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky