Checking in from deer camp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmaddox

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Central FL
I am 6 days into my 9 day trip to the deer camp trying to restock the freezer. Unfortunately the weather has been crazy and the deer are all sorts of messed up. I have managed to get one doe. This morning I was trying to be adventurous and use my muzzleloader that I don't shoot that often and missed a small buck :hit::th_crybaby2: the weather is starting to look good so I will see how the last few days go. If all goes to plan there will be plenty of smoked backstraps in the near future. On the plus side there is a pork butt ready to go on the e-ecb tomorrow morning so we will be eating well.

Congress on the doe.. where ya hunting?

Still bow season in my neck of the woods. Bucks are starting to chase the lady's. Hoping to get out more in the next week or two..

Last edited:
I am in the south eastern part of North Carolina. We are a few weeks into gun season but the rut hasn't started yet.

Nice job on the doe!  Sucks about the little buck, but maybe he'll be better for you next season.

Looking forward to seeing more!

I have a few weeks before I can go.  Travel next week, wife has back surgery the following week, and then recovery time for her...

I am in the south eastern part of North Carolina. We are a few weeks into gun season but the rut hasn't started yet.

Always wanted to hunt down south. Just never made it.. yet. Rut here is darn close. Smaller bucks are pestering the gal's, but for the most part the big boys are just scent checking. Usually starts around the 5th of Nov and peaks the week after.

Thanks but if you knew how uncharacteristicly bad the hunting has been you wouldn't be. I guess a bad day at deer camp beats a good day at work.
I've never dreaded being at camp...  
biggrin.gif

Good luck this weekend!

BMDX, I envy you, our muzzleloader starts tomorrow and rifle starts in ten days. I'll hit deer camp then for some of the fun you are having now. Good luck for your remaining time !

Well I did not get any more deer.I am just glad I got one as two of the guys on the trip came home with empty coolers.

At least we ate well at camp:

And some of the other guys had a good night on Friday.

I can't wait for next years trip!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky