Cheap MES mailbox mod without the mailbox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

breugel

Original poster
Dec 1, 2022
So I wanted to try something cheap and easy. I took 2 adjustable 90 deg 3” elbows and a 12 inch smoke tube fits perfect. Works pretty good.
B0811427-1424-4ECD-9753-9581785647B8.jpeg

Interesting! Do you lose a lot of smoke coming out the open lit end?
None because with the vent open on top it is drawing in the tube and it provides the air to keep it burning.

Great idea, although I think I would have made the pipe a bit longer, so the smoke has more time to clean up. Especially if you use this for cold or low temp smoking, like sausage or bacon.
Al

Great idea, although I think I would have made the pipe a bit longer, so the smoke has more time to clean up. Especially if you use this for cold or low temp smoking, like sausage or bacon.
Al
Yea I agree it popped in my head while I was at Lowes and that’s what they had. I will work on it and post updated info. I think I want to turn it vertically. Also add some type of adjustable vent at the end to regulate airflow. It just popped in my head.

Al
I agree the pipe needs to be longer to clean up the smoke.

Until you have a flare up. Yes for Aluminum.
Good point I will see what i can find. I will need make some way to slow the air down. It burns that 12 inch tube in 2 hours... It's a work in progress

Good point I will see what i can find. I will need make some way to slow the air down. It burns that 12 inch tube in 2 hours... It's a work in progress
you could take aluminum foil and put across your open end and experiment with different size holes to see how much air intake you actually need

12" tube in two hours is a lot of smoke. Too much for me and so many others. To help cut down the amount of smoke, fill the tube up just half way vertically, then turn it over on its side (horizontally) shake it end to end while covering the end with your hand. It will end up with the tube half filled while laying horizontally.

This does not affect the burn time. Just helps reduce the amount of smoke. Experimenting as what tbern was suggesting is a way to go.

I did this last summer but it always stoked into flames with such a wind tunnel and twice the fuel vs the maze. I couldn't walk away from it and be confident. Way too much smoke for me so I had to pull the burning embers in the tube smoker out the alum tube so half the smoke vacuumed into the smoker and the rest floated away and to reduce flare ups. I just pulled the mailbox off the Mes 40 and two bricks on the long edge were the perfect height. Plus the maze was lighter smoke.
20210817_164931.jpg

20220421_171837.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky