Cheap container

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Brian.. reading reviews on this... I see complaints of having to remove the SV before you can remove the lid.. Do you find this to be a fact ?? If so , is it a pain ?? makes a mess ??

Brian.. reading reviews on this... I see complaints of having to remove the SV before you can remove the lid.. Do you find this to be a fact ?? If so , is it a pain ?? makes a mess ??
You do have to get bag out of the way when putting together and you do have to take sv out first before removing lid. I will stick sv in hole of lid before putting on to help keep bag out of way. I hold it above hole for few seconds for water to drain from sv. Some water does spill out but easily cleaned up. Once put together though you know bag will remain under water. Really nice for long cooks.

Side question for all the coolers. I have a few styrofoam coolers laying around, would I be able to use those or is that not recommended?

Also with the party stacker can you split the lid and use something like flex seal tape to make it hinged for use? I too am still learning.

Side question for all the coolers. I have a few styrofoam coolers laying around, would I be able to use those or is that not recommended?

Also with the party stacker can you split the lid and use something like flex seal tape to make it hinged for use? I too am still learning.
You could get away with a styrofoam cooler. The melting point of styrofoam is much, much higher than the temps you will sous vide at.

Sous Vide.JPG

If leaking is a concern, line it with a large plastic bag.

Nothing wrong with using a styrofoam cooler until you made up your mind on a different setup.

I’m Looking to get into my sous vide more (all I’ve done was one chicken breast when my buddy gave it to me) I did it in my sink and I’m looking for an actual container for it now. I’ve seen some that are $50+ anyone use a cheaper option or have any suggestions?

I got this cooler at the local W-Mart store in the fishing section for less than $20 dollars. I didn't want to remove the Sous Vide machine whenever I checked the water level. I just cut the top from the hinge forward, but I wanted enough plastic top to hold the machine. I made sure there was enough space between the inside wall where the water could still circulate behind. Even though I didn't plan for it, the cooler stores all the SV equipment in one place. I've done a few 48-50 cooks in it now and have NEVER had to add water. I'm very pleased with it. Maybe this could help you get an idea?

Don

Attachments

• Anova 1.JPG
    Anova 1.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Anova 2.JPG
    Anova 2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Anova 3.JPG
    Anova 3.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Anova 4.JPG
    Anova 4.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Anova 5.JPG
    Anova 5.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 49
I got this cooler at the local W-Mart store in the fishing section for less than $20 dollars. I didn't want to remove the Sous Vide machine whenever I checked the water level. I just cut the top from the hinge forward, but I wanted enough plastic top to hold the machine. I made sure there was enough space between the inside wall where the water could still circulate behind. Even though I didn't plan for it, the cooler stores all the SV equipment in one place. I've done a few 48-50 cooks in it now and have NEVER had to add water. I'm very pleased with it. Maybe this could help you get an idea?

Don
I run this same set up. For long cooks or bigger cooks. Otherwise I use a stock pot.

I've seen a couple of mods on YouTube where guys used a hole saw in the lid, and one guy glued a PVC fitting into the hole (maybe it was threaded) but he could plug it when using as a cooler. The Party Stacker is a fantastic sous vide container and I'm kind of surprised some manufacturer has not come out with a sous vide lid for the Party Stacker (like the aftermarket ones you can buy for the Rubbermaid containers) I'm curious if you can order just a lid from Coleman. My first search showed the basic hole saw mod:

EDIT 2 - Go to Amazon and search for Party Stacker. There is 'question search window' so type in 'sous vide' and there are several reviews with the exact mod you are talking about. one had hinges mounted to make a folding lid.

Last edited:
I missed the obvious lid solution for the Party Stacker. I have used clear wrap on mine, but ping pong balls work well. There are even special sous vide balls that appear to be smaller.

I use a 12qt Cambro and cut out the lid. I get them for $9.00 at our local restaurant supply.

Coleman Party Stacker. I used a hole saw, but then cut it to the edges, for a U shaped hole. Now I can remove the cover and the SV stays in place.

Some postings I found online said that you don't want whole thing (water container, container cover, and sous vide device) to be completely sealed. If it is, then the only way for hot moist air to exit is up though the SV device, which eventually can lead to damage.

Sous.Vide.Cover.U.Shaped.Hole.v01.jpg

Coleman.Party.Stacker.Sous.Vide.Container.v01.jpg

-----
I found that I needed to reinforce the back so that the SV screw clamp did not damage the cooler.

Sous.Vide.Container.Reinforce.On.Back.v01.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky