Chaudin, also known as ponce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PorkHock

Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Might be a little strange to some of you but I can assure you its delicious.

First off get your self a pig stomach. Rinse it well and place in cold water with 4tbs of baking soda and half a cup of vinegar, stir together and let sit in the mixture for an hour.
Mean while chop:
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced garlic
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
Cook vegetables in butter in large pan until wilted, add bay leaves. Add 1/4 cup white wine and reduce. Add Worcestershire sauce to taste and reduce. Season with tony chachere and 2 tsp basil.
Add to vegetables in pan:
1/2 cup ground andouille sausage
1/2 pound ground beef
3 pounds ground pork
cook until brown. Season with cayenne and tony's. Let cool to room temperature and add to mixture
1 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped parsley
remove stomach from water and rinse under water.
PXL_20210131_001703198.jpg

See that fat, pull all that off. Stuff stomach with cooled mixture and sew up
PXL_20210131_005405207.jpg

Season outside of stomach with your favorite cajun spice mixture and hot smoke it untill 145 IT
While meat is smoking make a dark roux with 4tbs vegetable oil and 4tbs flour in a black iron pot
PXL_20210131_183849631.jpg

add to roux:
2 small sliced onions
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup diced garlic
2 cups sliced mushrooms
cook for 3 minutes. Brown stomach on both sides. Use a meat thermometer to poke ten wholes on each side of the stomach while browning. Do not let it burst.
Add 3 cups chicken stock and poke 15 holes on each side of stomach. Bring stock to simmer and cover for 1 hour. Check and turn stomach every 15 minutes poking more holes as necessary.
After 1 hour remove stomach
PXL_20210131_220635340.jpg

reduce gravy, slice stomach. Pour gravy over stomach.
PXL_20210131_222500567.jpg

serve over long grain rice and top with green onions . Used to eat this all the time, first time making it from scratch.

Now that is something you don't see posted here very often. Got to be a fellow coonass with that post. And welcome to SMF....strong first post. Like!
Figured I would post something other than pork butt, not that there is any thing wrong with pork butt. Just thought I would show something most folks haven't seen. I have always loved this dish and when I couldn't find a thread detailing how to make and cook one, I knew I had to share how to do it.

Reactions: KingMikeTheGreat
Thats Awesome! Nice work laying out all the details on the cook! Definitely something I've never seen or heard of but it sure sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: PorkHock
Tried in vain to find one to try when I was in Cajun country. I guess it’s one of those things you have to make yourself. Now I know how! Thanks.

:emoji_thumbsup:, welcome from Iowa! And definitely a great 1st post! At first I wasn't sure about it, but then you went and put gravy on it! Looks good! I'd sure give it a try. And to think of how many hog stomachs I've left go unused. I doubt my wife would try it though. I once gave her a cracker with head cheese on it and said try this, she asked what it was, I said just try it. She did and said it wasn't bad but what was it, I told her head cheese, she said BLECK!

Ryan

Ok, so I'm currently sitting here lmao! Showed the finished pics to my wife and told her this is my next thing to try...she asked what it was, when I showed her I think she turned green! It was worth a good laugh!

Ryan

Wut ya have here is a Coonass Cajun version of Haggis.
And damn me if it doesn't sound and look a helluva lot tastier than a traditional Haggis.
I'd hit this with no reservations, and "Yes please, pass the gravy!"

My stomach is growling viewing this post.

Welcome to SMF, and again "Great 1st post."

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky