Chargriller Flat Iron?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BiscuitoftheSea

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
I'm in the market for a flat top grill to go with my Weber gas grill and Gravity fed smoker. I see 95% of people are sporting a Blackstone or Camp Chef. Only thing I can find in my area right now (MN) is the Chargriller 4 burner 36" for $300.

Anyone have any experience with it? I can only find reviews online of people who were given it to review, so not unbiased.

Thanks.

I was able to score my camp chef FTG 600 for right around $350. I think shipped from Lowe’s? I’d say try to look for a blackstone or camp chef on Lowe’s or Home Depot website. A lot of times they offer free shipping.

The Char-Griller is really nice, I like it a lot.

Things that stand out...

The the Burner Housing is fully enclosed. Other brands have open bottoms with reports of wind messing with temps.

The Gap between the griddle plate and housing has Build in Wind Breaks. No issue with wind blowing out burners. Other brands do not or only have after market add-ons available.

The Temp valves have 180° of heat control. Other's only turn 90°.

The Propane Tank support is easy to load and unload, locking the tank in.

At the time. Char-Griller with Hard Cover, was cheaper than other brands with No Cover.

The Grease Pan is fully unclosed, within the body with a chute that funnels grease in to the pan, with no mess. Some brands have no Chute and get too aggressive pushing grease in it can miss getting in the pan and leak out. Blackstone's new setup, Grease Pan in the back, is a great design, but take care not to push grease out the hole and on the deck or patio.

Downside, like most brands, the Lowest Temp setting will run low 400°F. Would be nice if you could get to a Keep Warm setting of 200°F. Placing a mesh cooling rack to one side, gives some distance above the surface and holds food warm fairly well.
Don't put anything that will melt on the shelves closer than 5-6". They WILL melt...I learned the hard way!

All the major players make nice Flat Top Griddles. There are just small differences that may sway you one way or another.

I Highly Recommend the Char-Griller. And would not hesitate to purchase again...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky