• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chargriller 9020 tripping GFCI after 5 minutes

cxb

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 9, 2009
Had this for a year and I love it. 2 months ago it started popping the GFCI as soon as it was turned on. I troubleshot it down to a bad heater rod and replaced it with a Traeger heating rod, the only brand available locally.

Worked great for a month, no issues. Now it is popping/tripping the GFCI outlet. I have tried eliminating the extension cord. Running another extension cord to a separate outlet which is also a GFCI but it is on another circuit. Has anyone else run into this? What was the fix.

https://www.chargriller.com/products/wood-pro-grill-9020

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Tripping due to amp draw or moisture ?

Reactions: cxb

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 3, 2011
Try not having the cord touch the ground at all.
I ran into this issue with some higher amperage power tools.

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
Make sure the area near the hot rod's exposed surface is not gunked up with ash. Ash and moisture can cause current to leak to ground. But as the other's have said, GFCI's do go bad.

cxb

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 9, 2009
Make sure the area near the hot rod's exposed surface is not gunked up with ash. Ash and moisture can cause current to leak to ground. But as the other's have said, GFCI's do go bad.
Will open it up and inspect. Would be great if that fixed it.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Don’t know yet.
Just saying that would be the place to start , knowing the cause . I'm guessing bregent has you pointed in the right direction .

cxb

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 9, 2009
Forgot to mention the worst part of this was I had to use my gas grill to make steaks. Wanted to do a nice reverse sear on the smoker. Smoker flakes out. Spend the1/2 hour playing cord swap. Drink, cuss, repeat. Fire up gas grill too hot. I ended up almost ruining the steak. More drink , cuss, repeat. Arrrgh I hate it when shit doesn’t work!!

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
Forgot to mention the worst part of this was I had to use my gas grill to make steaks. Wanted to do a nice reverse sear on the smoker. Smoker flakes out. Spend the1/2 hour playing cord swap. Drink, cuss, repeat. Fire up gas grill too hot. I ended up almost ruining the steak. More drink , cuss, repeat. Arrrgh I hate it when shit doesn’t work!!
A workaround until you find the cause is to disconnect the hot rod, and use a torch to get the pellets in the fire pot started.

cxb

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 9, 2009
Update: Cleaned out the fire pot. Plugged into a non GFI outlet and ran it for 2 hrs. Now it is acting normal on GFI OUTSIDE outlet

Smoke on my brothers!!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.