• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Charcoal Type?

ga pine needle

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 25, 2009
What type/brand fuel do you use in your UDS? I'm getting too much creosote with Stubs 100% hardwood briquettes.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
I use Lump wood. The brand I have been buying is Frontier. During the summer you can get a 40lb bag for $15 at Sams club. I love this stuff. Nice big pieces and it lasts a long time.

skua44

Joined Feb 5, 2010
as anybody here made their own charcoal?  I have toyed with the idea but have never gotten off my butt to try.

ga pine needle

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 25, 2009
I use Lump wood. The brand I have been buying is Frontier. During the summer you can get a 40lb bag for $15 at Sams club. I love this stuff. Nice big pieces and it lasts a long time.

Does it burn any hotter than briquettes? I use lump in my side burner but it seems I remember reading it was suggested to use briquettes since the drums can be trouble to keep the temps from getting to hot.

ecto1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 22, 2010
I use the Frontier brand as well.  Best stuff for the price.  I have also used Kingsford Blue and both burn a long time with little oxygen.  The Kingsford needs more Oxygen than the Lump but as soon as you get the temp where you want it it all burns the same.

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
I use Basques Lump. It's pure Maple Sugar charcoal.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007

Does it burn any hotter than briquettes? I use lump in my side burner but it seems I remember reading it was suggested to use briquettes since the drums can be trouble to keep the temps from getting to hot.
I guess I can't really say. I have only used briquettes once and for the price it was a no brainer for me to switch to the frontier lump. I love the way it burns I have never had an issue with it getting too hot.

ga pine needle

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 25, 2009
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm 5 hrs in on a ham and a turkey smoke, my second smoke on my UDS. I"m using lump (Cowboy's is what I had to settle for) The lump is fine, cleaner burn and no problem with temps.

solaryellow

Limited Mod
Group Lead
Joined Jul 26, 2009
I also use lump. I use Nature-Glo which is a Royal Oak's food service brand. I wouldn't use anything else at this point. 

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
Royal oak or bridgeford blue bag, whatever is on sale.

deannc

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 13, 2010
I've only used Kingsford original (blue bag) because the only lump I've found in my area has been Cowboy and from what I've read and seen what it's made of, I don't bother with it.  I can find Royal Oak briquettes but haven't used them yet.  I've been picking up the 2 - 20 pound blue bags at Sam's Club for about $14.  

I I swear one day I'm going to open a supply store!

flyweed

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 5, 2010
I use Royal oak briquettes for a starter, and I use the Royal Oaks lump for my coal in the basket, with some chunk of hardwood thrown on top for the "smoke"

jay6896

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 6, 2015
I use Kingsford blue bag as well. Typically stock up for the year when it's on sale. The flood soaked 300# and it got shoveled into waste containers. Found some Royal Oak lump on sale using that right now. I think I still prefer the Kingsford.

dcb5739

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 3, 2015
My favorite is Humphery Lump, in a pinch its Royal Oak Lump, mainly light briqs in the chimney to use as a fire starter

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
My favorite is Humphery Lump, in a pinch its Royal Oak Lump, mainly light briqs in the chimney to use as a fire starter
I agree. I love using Humphreys. Hard to find thou

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.