charcoal , to wood ratio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spike7

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
I`m fairly new on here

so if thisa topic has already been addressed , can you direct me to it?

I was talking to a person who has  done more smoking than I have.

he mentioned I might be using too much wood.

I was talking to him about finding wood cheaper , since in miami , all I can find is small bags in home depot, or one guy I found who sells cords of oak

as we talked about actual smoking , he said " a lot of the better charcoals have wood in them , and are made to give food smoke flavor"

he also said when he smokes meat , he only puts just the  soaked mesquite chips , or maybe one small piece of wood an hour on the coals.

I`m failry new to smoking.

each time I have used my smoker , I have been putting quit a bit more wood than that in there

can you guys help with the correct ratio?

Spike, we would love to help you but you gotta give us more info; like what kind of smoker you are using, etc. 

When I use my ECB, I'll have a pan full of unlit briquettes with a couple of chunks of wood tuck in a couple of spots, then I'll dump 7-8 lit briquettes in the center of them.

For my gasser, I'll burn a couple of tuna can sized chunks in chip box about every 45-60 minutes.

A lot of use here do not soak our chips or chunks, Doing so just causes the wood to steam until it is dry enough to smolder.

Spike, we would love to help you but you gotta give us more info; like what kind of smoker you are using, etc. 

When I use my ECB, I'll have a pan full of unlit briquettes with a couple of chunks of wood tuck in a couple of spots, then I'll dump 7-8 lit briquettes in the center of them.

For my gasser, I'll burn a couple of tuna can sized chunks in chip box about every 45-60 minutes.

A lot of use here do not soak our chips or chunks, Doing so just causes the wood to steam until it is dry enough to smolder.
I have an offset smoker. not gas or electric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky