Charcoal smoking in winter.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
With winter coming on here the local stores are not so good for stocking good charcoal and wood chunks on the shelves. Ace Hardware has free Ship to Store for my B&B lump charcoal and Fruitawood has wood chunks at reasonable prices. Any other online suppliers for wood and charcoal that is reasonably priced?

Reactions: JLeonard
With winter coming on here the local stores are not so good for stocking good charcoal and wood chunks on the shelves. Ace Hardware has free Ship to Store for my B&B lump charcoal and Fruitawood has wood chunks at reasonable prices. Any other online suppliers for wood and charcoal that is reasonably priced?

You have a good combination going for you.

I've been buying from Fruita Wood for years. Bert is the man!! We do group orders around 250 pounds, and if any of us are in that area, we pick it up which is a real money saver. My big box stores all carry Royal Oak, but I've ordered B&B from Ace, and one Cowboy K-Mart carries it too. My Ace offers free ship-to-store, but.... since the pandemic will let you do curbside pick-up or they have a delivery truck that will deliver to my house.

I just recently found out about Fruita Wood and placed my first order with them tonight. Ace seems to have me covered for the winter on the B&B lump. Roayal Oak is common in stores around here but it doesn't perform well in my Masterbuilt 560.

Walmart and Home Depot usually have some stock. Before going to a stick burner I would stock up in June and july to solve the problem. Like a squirrel with nuts.

I just recently found out about Fruita Wood and placed my first order with them tonight. Ace seems to have me covered for the winter on the B&B lump. Roayal Oak is common in stores around here but it doesn't perform well in my Masterbuilt 560.

I'm not sure if you saw the fine print on the website, but they de-bark for no charge and if you ship to a business instead of a residential address, they add more weight to the box to compensate for the lower rate. The wood is 15% moisture and you will be blown away at the flavor. It does lessen after 3 months, so we order about every 5 months. Here is a peek at what to expect.
8nu3G32.jpg

Reactions: whistlepig
Appreciate the pics. This does look like nicer wood chunks that I have buying in small packages at Ace Hardware and Kroger's. Certainly cheaper. It's a hassle finding cherry wood chunks around here even during the grilling season.

Our local Ace keeps the B&B in stock for me through the winter. I luckily have a local wood source so I’m all stocked up on cherry, pear,apple and oak. I’m pretty low on Hickory though. He sells me full feed sacks of chunks for $20.

Stock up, store, and preserve. When the sales hit on lump and briquettes for 4th of July and labor day, grab as much as you can afford (40lbs of briquettes for $15). I usually buy about 400lbs worth of lump/briquettes at that time and lasts until early summer. Kamado Joe was doing a sale again as of last week for lump. For wood, same thing can be done when it goes on sale. Just need to invest in a decent storage/shelter set up for all of it.

I found the remnants of a clearance pallet of Royal Oak briquettes at Walmart for $4.44/18lb bag, on a lark when I was out of town one day.
None of the 3 local Walmarts ever cleared out, so they have a little stock hiding behind the Christmas stuff.
MVIMG_20201010_101427_1604815472410.jpg

I find the wood chunks at Walmart to be the best deal. Very little bark and CHEAP. They have cherry, apple, pecan and hickory.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky