Charcoal Smoker has 4 vents?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What kind of smoker would you recommend?

• Charcoal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electric

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vosser78

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Brandon, South Dakota
Hey I have two smokers one is charcoal and the other is an electric smoker. My charcoal smoker has two vents on the bottom and two on the top. I usually leave both vents open on the bottom and the top ones I leave half cracked or full out open. What should I do for max heat, I struggle to keep it at 225 at times? I feel like 4 vents is an over kill for a small smoker.

In my opinion, you should control heat with the bottom vents and leave the top vents wide open to reduce the posibility of creosote.  The bottom vents can be closed to very nearly closed -- I mean barely cracked 5 - 10% -- which will provide enough air to the fire for a low and slow cook.  The whole idea is an oxygen starved fire which will produce thin blue to almost no smoke.

Yeah I think I have been Leaving my bottom vents way to wide open. I always figured the more oxygen a fire got the hotter it would get? 

Wide open bottom vents should really get the fire going. Your top vents should always be open all the way. If your not getting enough heat with the bottom vents open all the way then the fire is not big enough. Make a bigger fire when you start.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky