CHARCOAL PELLETS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I haven't tried them but remember thread where someone smashed briquets in a bag and mixed them with pellets. They actually got a smoke ring in an electric smoker. Should work good.

Thanx Woodcutter,
I'll keep that in mind. I wonder if I would mix with hickory, and I smoked some burgers, I would get that grilled char taste with a hint of smoke.

:grilling_smilie:

I think I'll try that. Wonder what the ratio should be?

That is a good Idea woodcutter, as far as ratio you will probably just play with the amps I am now thinking about doing this and do a 60/40mix is what I am thinkin 60%pellets

Good luck let us know if you do this and I will do the same

Charcoal pellets don't put out much smoke, but do produce more heat

You'll get some of that "Charcoal Flavor" on your meat

TJ

I odered a 40 pd. bag of hickory pellets from William Sonoma and they sent charcoal pellets. They refunded my money and told me to keep the pellets. I wasn't sure if i should use them in my Mes with the AMZNPS in fear of too much charcoal taste. It seems to like you all are saying it's okay to use them. Thanks for the info, think i'll try half hickory and charcoal. Hated to waste that big bag.

Last edited:
Charcoal pellets area actually a blend of oak and charcoal.  100% charcoal makes a lousy pellet

Who's name is on the bag?

If I know the mfg., I can tell you what the ration of wood to charcoal is in the pellets

I sell them, and the do work in the AMNPS 5x8

Charcoal pellets do put out a charcoal flavor, but it's not that heavy.

More heat than smoke.....

I don't see why you can't mix them with your hickory pellets

Who's the mfg. of the hickory pellets.  More often than not, they're blended with oak, and not 100% hickory

Todd

The charcoal is Nature's Way and called Memphis Wood Fire Grill and the hickory i purchase from Gander Mountain website.

Last edited:
Charcoal pellets area actually a blend of oak and charcoal.  100% charcoal makes a lou
Who's name is on the bag?
If I know the mfg., I can tell you what the ration of wood to charcoal is in the pellets

I sell them, and the do work in the AMNPS 5x8
Charcoal pellets do put out a charcoal flavor, but it's not that heavy.
More heat than smoke.....

I don't see why you can't mix them with your hickory pellets
Who's the mfg. of the hickory pellets.  More often than not, they're blended with oak, and not 100% hickory

Todd
The charcoal is Natures Way Eood Fire Grill and the hickory i purchase from Gander Mountain.com

I believe Natures Way are 60% Oak and 40% Charcoal

What's the mfg. on the bag from Gander?

I believe Natures Way are 60% Oak and 40% Charcoal
What's the mfg. on the bag from Gander?
Had to go website and it's made by Camp Chef. I really appreciate you help. I have a lot of hickory trees on my land so right now i'm splitting wood, which i really love to do anything with wood. My Mes smokes great now, but i've heard so much sbout the AMZNPS so i'm going to try it. What's your opinion?

Well, I'm a little prejudice
biggrin.gif

If you can make decent smoke in your MES, and already own the hickory, I say keep doing what you're doing!

The trick in the MES is to have fewer chips and not overload the small chip pan

Pull out the chip loader for a little added air for combustion

Don't use pellets in the MES chip tray, because they just burn up too fast

I have been advised that you should not burn charcoal pellets in your cooker if you do not have a 1/4" steel firepot in your cooker. Not too sure on how many companies put something of less quality into their cookers though.

I have been advised that you should not burn charcoal pellets in your cooker if you do not have a 1/4" steel firepot in your cooker. Not too sure on how many companies put something of less quality into their cookers though.
I ordered an AMNPS that i'm going to use pellets in.

I ordered an AMNPS that i'm going to use pellets in.
In that application, I have no doubt it will work flawlessly. Im only referring to inside a firepot where there is actually a constant fire burning in there rather than smoldering pellets. I wish you the best of luck with it!

In that application, I have no doubt it will work flawlessly. Im only referring to inside a firepot where there is actually a constant fire burning in there rather than smoldering pellets. I wish you the best of luck with it!
Thanks BigTrain same to you. Appreciate your comments.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky