Charcoal newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

windycitysmokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Chicago
So The gentleman I bought my home from left me a Webber kettle in pristine condition. I’ve never used charcoal. Always gas grill and electric smoker.

Tonight i went to grill 2 small pieces of fish and some veggies. Was figuring about 4 mins per side for everything.

Lit a chimney 3/4 full of coal, let that run about 15-20 until smoke was almost gone and coals were ashed over. Dumped the coals into my Charcoal basket against the side, put the lid on with both vents wide open, and the top cent over the coals. the temp got up to around 450, where I wanted it, and held there about 5 mins. So I figured it was go time.

I put the fish directly over the coals and the veggies between the coals and the middle. Put the kid back on.

Almost instantly, the temp dropped to 250 and never came back up.

Where did I go wrong? Not enough coals? Didn’t let them burn long enough before adding the food?

should I always expect that large of a temp drop when adding food? If so, how long until it recovers?

Teach me!

Were all the vents wide open? Never mind. I read closer.

I do not use a gauge when grilling. My Kettle is probaby 20 years old so it doesn't have a built in gauge.

Food will absorb heat which can be reflected on the gauge. That's the reason your oven will come on several times once it has preheated and you load food to roast.

Did you use a small or large chimney?

Last edited:
I never put fish directly over a large pile of coals as in basket. I spread a layer out over the charcoal grate for most of my general grilling. I usually use a grilling pan lined with foil to temper the heat for the fish, especially for my wife's salmon.
My kettle is a 90's vintage. No temp gauge with the 3 daisy wheel intakes and single on the hood.
For grilling all vents open.

What kind of charcoal? The last 5 or so bags of embers and royal oak I’ve used have done the same thing. Once I put the kid in they go out and temp drops. I’m close to throwing to the rest of my bags out. It sure if it’s a bad batch of each or what but I’ve never had a problem with temp control on my Webber until about a month ago with those two brands (and I’ve used them for years)

I usually leave my charcoal in the chimney 30-40 minutes (even 3/4 full). Seems like it takes that long to get all of the charcoal a shed over. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky