Charcoal / Lump Coal Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin pitzer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2015
Michigan
Hello all - I have a WSM and follow Harry Soo quite a bit which I love his tips/techniques. I was wondering what most comp people use for charcoal/lump coal. I currently use Kingsford because it is easy to purchase anywhere, however I am seeking something that might be better which will provide a better flavor/smoke taste that is readily available? Any suggestions???

Last edited:
+1 for royal oak. Even their house brands are good and Soo much cheaper per lb. This isn't as big of a deal I guess if you don't use a lot, but many of use go through a ton of charcoal.

So if it's better and cheaper? It's coming home with this guy.

I'm on my phone and can't put the links in here. I tested KBB against RO Ridge briquettes and RO won hands down. It is also bagged under a lot of names like Embers at Home Depot and Expert Grill at Wally World. Try a bag, but use 1/4th the amount of hot charcoal compared to KBB to start the cold pile of Ridge and wood.

Reactions: pc farmer
Royal Oak is the way to go. B&B is starting to gain some ground too. I think kingsford is just the well known brand of your casual griller/camper and there are plenty of better options. RO burns hotter longer and the bags are decently consistent with the size of the lump.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky