Charcoal in Smokin It Model 2?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinMan

Original poster
Apr 25, 2021
Hi,

I am wondering, would it be beneficial to put charcoal and wood chunks in the wood box on my smokin it model 2? I want to get some of that good charcoal flavor on my electric smoker and thought this would be a good idea.

Thanks

I tried that once and did not have good success at anything being different. Most likely because there really is not enough air flow.

A pellet tube and some charhickory or other charcoal pellets to use in it

I have heard of people trying something like a pellet tube, but they reported there was not enough air flow through the Smoke-it 2 to keep it lit.

I do add more little wood chunks every hour or so for two or three hours if I am doing a large piece of meat to get more smoke flavor. Too much at one time gives a bitter taste, spacing it out a little bit to keep the smoke light over a longer period of time works better for me. I buy the standard hickory chunks and split them down to smaller pieces with a screwdriver and hammer.

Post back what you found that works for you. tks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky