Charcoal EZstarts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
BA10CA1B-62EA-4DF7-9666-8B2923E3EB45.jpeg

Has anyone ever tried these for starting charcoal or even an open fire? It says bundles of Rocky Mountain aspen and paraffin are what it’s made of. I’ve never used anything but my chimney starter and lighter fluid a couple times when I was fresh into smoking and grilling. I figured $2.50 for a 4 pack, it’s at least worth a shot!

Can't say I've tried them. I'm a Weber cube man myself.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinLogs
I've used my Propane torch for years and years now.
Recently the old Craftsman, uhh, crapped out. :rolleyes:
So I bought a new one. Love a trigger start Propane torch.
I just screw it onto one of those green tanks, and keep it shut off after any use.
I use it from AMNPS to Ants, and anything I want to light up. o_O
(Even as a weed burner...)

My step Daughter asked if I needed a match to light up a BBQ when camping one time.
I said, "Naw, I've got a match." And stuck it in the RV and pulled the trigger...
She about jumped over the seat back when that flame roared.... :D

LMAO! :rolleyes:

Electric loop or torch,haven't bought light fluid in 20 something years

View attachment 378261

Has anyone ever tried these for starting charcoal or even an open fire? It says bundles of Rocky Mountain aspen and paraffin are what it’s made of. I’ve never used anything but my chimney starter and lighter fluid a couple times when I was fresh into smoking and grilling. I figured $2.50 for a 4 pack, it’s at least worth a shot!
Yep, I’ve used these. They work ok, probabaly burn out a little too soon to start a good charcoal fire. The compressed wood ones las a little longer and will usually start the fire. Either way, no fluid needed. I also use the electric loop, and that works great if you’ve got electricity. If not, the propane torch is pretty effective. Lots of options without having to use that stinky fluid.

Can't say I've tried them. I'm a Weber cube man myself.

Chris

GMC, I’ve been thinking about trying the Weber cubes but I keep forgetting to pick some up when I’m at the store. I made a charcoal basket for my COS that I normally use for charcoal at first and keep feeding it wood splits. Should I put the Weber cubes/ or my EZ starts down in the whole basket of coals, or just use them to fire up my chimney starter?

Yep, I’ve used these. They work ok, probabaly burn out a little too soon to start a good charcoal fire. The compressed wood ones las a little longer and will usually start the fire. Either way, no fluid needed. I also use the electric loop, and that works great if you’ve got electricity. If not, the propane torch is pretty effective. Lots of options without having to use that stinky fluid.

Thood, thanks for the info on them. I figured as cheap as they are it’s worth a shot. Would you recommend using 1 at a times or a few of them?

GMC, I’ve been thinking about trying the Weber cubes but I keep forgetting to pick some up when I’m at the store. I made a charcoal basket for my COS that I normally use for charcoal at first and keep feeding it wood splits. Should I put the Weber cubes/ or my EZ starts down in the whole basket of coals, or just use them to fire up my chimney starter?

Sorry Logs I'm not familiar with a COS smoker so I can't say. I've used the cubes both ways in my Webers. For the most part I use them along with the chimney starter.

Chris

I utilize the chimney as well but it's very smokey for the first few minutes. That said, do the electric loops keep the smoke level down? I ask because starting coals in condo environment doesn't always sit well with the neighbors so anything to keep the startup smoke level down would be an excellent alternative.

Just to update, I was satisfied with the EZ starts. I was surprised at how fast they lit, especially on a very windy evening. 2 of the bundles lit my basket pretty quick. They had a slight wax smell, but it went away pretty quick. I will be curious to see how they do next time when it’s not so windy outside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky