Charbroil Recall

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
Recall.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 24, 2010
Release #10-325

Firm's Recall Hotline: (866) 671-7988
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Char-Broil Recalls Vertical Gas Smokers Due to Injury Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Char-Broil vertical gas smokers

Units: About 18,450

Importer: Char-Broil LLC, of Columbus, Ga.

Manufacturer: Ningbo Spring Communications of China

Hazard: When the temperature setting is in "low," the smoker's hose/valve/regulator (HVR) assembly does not allow sufficient gas to flow, causing the flame to extinguish. Gas continues to flow and build up inside the smoker. If the smoker is reignited the build-up of propane gas can cause an explosion that bursts the smoker's door open, posing an injury hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: The company has received five reports of doors bursting open and hitting consumers. Injuries reported include burns to face and head, head concussion and cuts.

Description: This recall involves the Char-Broil vertical gas smokers with model number 07701413. The model number is printed on a metal tag located on the right rear leg of the smoker. The smoker measures 21.5" x 19.5" x 45.5" and weighs 75 pounds. A "G" inside a triangle is printed on the regulator (photo on CPSC's web site).

Sold at: Walmart and various other retailers nationwide from March 2008 through June 2010 for about $140.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled smokers and contact Char-Broil for a free replacement hose/valve/regulator assembly and installation instructions.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Char-Broil toll-free at (866) 671-7988 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's website at www.charbroil.com

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled product, please go to: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10325.html

Anybody own one?

icon_cool.gif

I don't personally but thanks there Ron for being a sharp eye out for it too.

Dang this is not good news

I just got off the phone with customer service at Char-Broil.  They were great and processed the recall quickly.  I started the form online last night while at work.  I didn't have the serial numbers but the website opened a case anyway.  Early this morning I got a phone call.  I was still asleep.  I got the serial number and called back.  Spoke to a nice lady named Elaine and a gentleman

named Mike.  They placed an order for the parts.  Couldn't have gotten better customer service.

Thanks ronp for the heads up.

Last edited:
Just installed the replacement parts. The difference I see is the control knob doesn't turn as far counterclockwise. This is preventing the flame being lowered as much as before. Mine is modified with the needle valve. If you install the new parts you may want to add the mod to get the flames low enough for lower temps.

Wow! I don't come on this site much but was bored and killing time and found this. Good news and thanks for posting as I have one. I guess I'm a lucky person as I cheat and mostly burn charcoal in mine and use the gas to adjust/control the temp. Guess I know who I'm calling on Monday! Thanks again

Amazing!

Our beloved RonP is gone, but he continues to help many people.

One of the Truly Great Ones!

Thanks & RIP to RonP,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.