char griller mod idea need input

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
no I'll have to tackle that this weekend and I hope I'll be able to season it soon, my fiancee's grandfather died last night and the services are sat and sun so I doubt I'll have much time this weekend

I have the same question as I'm in the process of pimping my Char-Griller. I've added front wheels, temp gauges on both sides and a firebox. I also added an extension to the chimney so its closer to the grates.  I'm about to sand it down and paint it with high temp gloss black paint. I'm looking to do the following:

Build a firebox grate - 12" x 8". Looking for materials cheap.

Add a 18.5" x 8" plate to  transition heat / smoke to the middle of the grill.  

Options: 

Aluminum plan - use for now to test as its a cheap option to see if it keeps temps even across the grill

New Charcoal grills come with a 18" x 8" steel plate already install to move heat from the firebox to the center of the grill. 

Ceramic tile; low cost options by using 24" by 6" tiles and cut to fit your desire custom fit. 

I've decided to go ahead and sand down and clean the grill, paint and cure the grill. I'll test the grill temps before deciding on my options. 

By the way, my wife purchased me an Ole Smokey grill for xmas. They are great!!!  I'm going ot try the snake method of laying out the charcoal to see if its also a nice option for smoking. The Old Smokey is excellent for temp control and smoking. I have the 18 ".  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky