• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Char-Griller Akorn Possible Damage?

ste6168

Joined Feb 21, 2017
Hey yall!

Brand new to smoking, but just picked one of these up based on reviews and price, and also the versatility of also being used as a grill/pizza cooker. However, upon opening the box, I noticed what looks like some slight damage, and I want to ensure that this isn't going to cause issues with cooking. Or, is this pretty normal for these cookers? Aesthetically, I couldn't care less, however, if its going to cause issues sealing and/or holding temps, thats where I will have a problem. Best I can tell, where the inner liner folds over and is secured, is not perfectly flat, and some paint is sort of chipped in that spot. This is at 3 rivets/screws around the base. The lid and the "ash tray" look good and I don't see any other damage. The packaging was damaged slightly on one corner, though I can't foresee how that would have cause this.

Figured i'd do a quick check before starting the assembly process.

Look forward to hopefully learning a thing or two from the pros around here. The food yall post is what gave me the bug, that, and I love pulled pork.

Thanks!

Last edited:

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Morning....  I would remove the screw, place a piece of wood under the screw hole and gently tap the metal ring to re-form it in the correct position so it functions normally...   After a few cooks, it won't be noticeable..    A lot easier than returning it.... 

You might contact them for a partial "rebate" on accepting a defective item...   worth a try... 

dward51

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 24, 2011
Like Dave said, it depends on how local the store where you bought/ordered it from is. I like the partial discount option, but that does appear to be fixable.  Point is, you paid for a non-defective unit and unless they want to make good on selling you a defective unit, you have not received what you paid for.

But if it's too much of a hassle to return it, you can fix it (but should not have to).   Also double check for other hidden damage, cracks, etc....

marctrees

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 1, 2016
That black finish looks like a nice thick porcelain glass like coating

Gonna start to get ugly w rust quickly.

Bring back, have them replace it.

Or flatten down as suggested above, and live w it.

But will be a constant source of growing ugliness.

I will add, I do not know where on the smoker that spot is, if it's like totally open to view like on top edge where a cover sits, or if something conceals it during assembly.

I did look at Web photos, and it looks like the exposed top lip the lid seats on, yes?

But either way, gonna be a cancer starting point seems to me.

And it's bruised and chipped in two separate spots ??

Dang, needs to be replaced.

Totally unacceptable to me,  to most I would think.

Marc

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.