Char-Grill with new side firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ristau5741

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
I've had a horizontal barrel Char-Grill  for a few years, used for smoking successfully in the past,  I recently added a side firebox to it,  yesterday when I was trying to season it, I couldn't get the smoker over 200 degrees. tried for like 3 hours till I ran out of lumps

I used to fill a briquette chimney half full,  get it burning on one side of the unit, and put my meat on the other, using this same plan for the side-box was not successful,  apparently the dynamics of the heat flow and air flow changed completely. seems that I got to get that firebox stoking hot for the heat to transfer over to the other side.

anyone that's had a horizontal barrel and added a side box, I'm looking for some insight or tips to make this addition successful.

tia

Mine wasn't added, but I'm assuming it may be the chinsey metal that mine was made out of.  I smoked some chicken last night after sealing the chamber a bit with some stove gasket and wrapping the top in a water heater blanket.  Temp got up to 255 quickly and held there for about 90 minutes before starting to drop I have some other mods as well, but I think sealing the cooking chamber and adding the water heater wrap really helped keep the heat in.

Hope this is helpful.

I used to fill a briquette chimney half full,   get it burning on one side of the unit, and put my meat on the other, using this same plan for the side-box was not successful,  apparently the dynamics of the heat flow and air flow changed completely. seems that I got to get that firebox stoking hot for the heat to transfer over to the other side.

tia
I use two fully lit chimneys of lump to fire up the Char-Griller. Leave the vents wide open until the temp hits at least 250° before closing the intake vent to 1/2, if the temp keeps rising close it all the way. The CG will settle back to the 240°-250° range. YMMV.

How are you measuring your temps?

The stock therm on my CG will read about 175 when the actual pit temp is 250.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky