CHAIN SANDWICH

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
A while back I picked up beef tenderloins on sale. When I trimmed them up I saved the triming for later to use in another cook. Was not sure what to do with the "chain" other than grind it. So last night I fugured I would try something.

This is when I cut it up. You can see the long thin chain in the middle of the board.
0510201936.jpg

I trimmed all the silver skin off and cut into 3 sections
0701202025.jpg

Then I used a tenderizing hammer to pound them out to about 1/2 inch and seasoned with steak rub.
0701202027.jpg

Got a bun out and slathered with butter and toasted in the cast iron.
0701202111.jpg

Then caramelized some onions in the cast iron.
0701202131_HDR.jpg

The steaks went on the grill hot and fast. These were thin so I had to move fast.
0701202203.jpg

Then sliced against the grain pretty thin.
0701202207.jpg

Onto the toasted and buttered bun
0701202208.jpg

Top with a slice of American cheese and the onions.
0701202210.jpg

Ready to eat!
0701202213.jpg

Cut open.
0701202214.jpg

Pretty dang good! Im glad I tried this. All I had read about the chain meat was using it for stew meat by braising or other long cooks to break it down. Once the silver skin is removed and its sliced thin I felt it was very tender even on a fast cook. Now I know what to do with the chain meat from now on. Better option than grinding.

Thanks for taking a look!

You gave them a good beating. Looks great

That looks great!! I think the chain ends up in tenderloin tips when they sell those. I have a couple packs in the freezer I cubes up when I trimmed a couple whole tenderloins from a Kroger sale.

That looks great!! I think the chain ends up in tenderloin tips when they sell those.
Thanks jcam! You might be right. Ive never seen tenderloin tips sold. I do however see the tails sold at Sam's often.

Looks great ! I just broke down a beef knuckle . A lot of good trim on these primal's ( and sub-primal's ) , and you made great use of it .
Nice work .

Last edited:
Looks great ! I just broke down a beef knuckle . A lot of good trim on these primal's ( and sub-primal's ) , and you made great use of it .
Nice work .
Thanks chopsaw! Sometimes the trim can make a better meal than what you trim it off of! Lol!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky