Certified Angus Brisket Flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.
So a local grocery store now carries certified Angus brisket flats. The are sectioned into about 8"-10" pieces for 7.99lb. I've been itching to slap a brisket in the MB gravity and was wondering if one of the tiny chunks would be worth it? Or should I stick with a whole packer from Costco for, maybe, hakf the price per pound? It's just my wife and I and maybe a couple friends I'd be cooking for. Thanks in advance for any input, it is always greatly appreciated.

Flats alone are ornery. Al has a way to smoke 'em (see link below). Personally, I stick with packers.

Flats alone are ornery. Al has a way to smoke 'em (see link below). Personally, I stick with packers.

Very cool, thanks.

So a local grocery store now carries certified Angus brisket flats. The are sectioned into about 8"-10" pieces for 7.99lb. I've been itching to slap a brisket in the MB gravity and was wondering if one of the tiny chunks would be worth it? Or should I stick with a whole packer from Costco for, maybe, hakf the price per pound? It's just my wife and I and maybe a couple friends I'd be cooking for. Thanks in advance for any input, it is always greatly appreciated.
I'd stick to whole packers.
Also with the money you save not paying $7.99/lb you can always smoke the whole packer and vac seal what you don't eat and freeze.

I prefer that to cutting in half and vac sealing raw. As said, the flat alone can be a bit of a pain.
Now if you want to cut and half and use the flat for stews, grind, braises, etc. then feel free to cut in half and vac seal raw. When wanting brisket, gain I'd smoke the whole thing and vac seal then.

I'd stick to whole packers.
Also with the money you save not paying $7.99/lb you can always smoke the whole packer and vac seal what you don't eat and freeze.

I prefer that to cutting in half and vac sealing raw. As said, the flat alone can be a bit of a pain.
Now if you want to cut and half and use the flat for stews, grind, braises, etc. then feel free to cut in half and vac seal raw. When wanting brisket, gain I'd smoke the whole thing and vac seal then.

That's the way I'm now leaning. Thanks tallbm.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky