CenTex Smokers (Austin and Surounding Areas)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My Favorite BBQ staple to cook is:

• Sausage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beef (other)

• Pork (other)

• Poultry

• Wild Game

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
upload_2019-6-7_13-29-34.png

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Howdy again all!! Like Zach, I too have been absolutely swamped. Finally taking a minute to chime in and say HI.

Zach, great score on the grill. That thing looks like you could cook half a cow on it. My BGE is pretty big but pales by comparison to that one.

Also like Zach, I scored a new toy. Gt it two weeks ago and absolutely love it!! Done some serious mods to it and it's nothing short of amazing. It's a 36" Santa Maria grill from Sunterra Outdoor Products. I added a massive log lighter system to it so I could get it lit and coals going in a hurry. Also did some really interesting fabrication to install a rotisserie I had in the garage from a grill I bought over 20 years ago.

Here's the grill all put together and nestled on the patio
027.jpg

Did an eye round roast on the rotisserie last weekend. Grill fired up with mesquite and getting ready to roll with the meat
010.jpg

Roast done and ready to take into the house to rest for a few minutes before slicing
015.jpg

Here's the roast after slicing
018.jpg

Money shot after applying my homemade au jus. Made a fresh salad and some Cajun taters
023.jpg

I love this grill!! Got all sorts of things in mind to cook on it...and of course I'll take lots of pics :-)

All that aside, we are getting a few folks involved in the conversation. Is there any interest in putting together a gathering? I have the space, the toys, and a wife that loves entertaining as much as I do....as well as having a pool :-)

Gotta run. The boys are waiting at my little pub for a cold adult libation. Looking forward to getting some feedback on a gathering. I think it'd be a blast!!

Robert

It's a monster! Looked it up on the internet and is looks like Weber Ranch Kettle is a 37" beast. Nice score.

Beast is a good word! Still no buyers remorse here, so that's good!

You have some splits you can fire it with?

would probably work. plenty of room for it.moving the lid on and off to add splits would be a pain though :emoji_laughing:

The wife asks me, “ do I still need to be on the lookout for smokers etc?” How does one answer that?

Emphatically!

tenor.gif

Howdy again all!! Like Zach, I too have been absolutely swamped. Finally taking a minute to chime in and say HI.

Zach, great score on the grill. That thing looks like you could cook half a cow on it. My BGE is pretty big but pales by comparison to that one.

Also like Zach, I scored a new toy. Gt it two weeks ago and absolutely love it!! Done some serious mods to it and it's nothing short of amazing. It's a 36" Santa Maria grill from Sunterra Outdoor Products. I added a massive log lighter system to it so I could get it lit and coals going in a hurry. Also did some really interesting fabrication to install a rotisserie I had in the garage from a grill I bought over 20 years ago.

Here's the grill all put together and nestled on the patio
View attachment 397479

Did an eye round roast on the rotisserie last weekend. Grill fired up with mesquite and getting ready to roll with the meat
View attachment 397481

Roast done and ready to take into the house to rest for a few minutes before slicing
View attachment 397482

Here's the roast after slicing
View attachment 397483

Money shot after applying my homemade au jus. Made a fresh salad and some Cajun taters
View attachment 397484

I love this grill!! Got all sorts of things in mind to cook on it...and of course I'll take lots of pics :-)

All that aside, we are getting a few folks involved in the conversation. Is there any interest in putting together a gathering? I have the space, the toys, and a wife that loves entertaining as much as I do....as well as having a pool :-)

Gotta run. The boys are waiting at my little pub for a cold adult libation. Looking forward to getting some feedback on a gathering. I think it'd be a blast!!

Robert

Nice pick up! that's on my list as well! will have to catch up soon so we can hash out the gathering details. Glad all is well!

She’s very good like that. Looks out for me. Beer, bar b que related, beer and general man stuff. I’m not good at reciprocating at times, but will plant flowers and the like when asked.

I married my future murder... I married a redhead :emoji_laughing:

200.gif

best decision I've ever made :emoji_grin::emoji_raised_hands:

Big plans for the Weber Ranch...

gonna fix all the chipping and rust marks. Got to get it back to as close as round as I can then it will get dropped off for a good blasting and new coating...

Gonna go with a high temp ceramic coating! Probably in Titanium.

upload_2019-6-12_14-58-3.png

random pic from google but options are Black, Silver, Titanium, and Gold. I think Titanium would look great on it from that list!

Would loooove Red but unfortunately not an option. Looked into High Temp powder coat but a lot of shops around here don't carry it and I guess it is super expensive. and only good for 1200°F wheres the Ceramic coating is up to 2000°F. Both those temps are plenty but it will be used for high temp grilling too, so I figure go big!

Reactions: bigdaddy4760
Absolutely,might want to find a kettle on CL,or someplace, to have them do first so you can check it out.
How bad are the chips anyway?
Not the worst at all. Some spider webbing all over and chips and rust all around the rim of lid and bowl like in pic.

IMG_20190613_173659.jpg

Again, not necessarily needed, but just jumping ahead on it.

Good Morning Y'all! Coffee is flowing through my veins, and got meetings and annual CPR / First Aid Training all day today.

Anything exciting going on out there?

Zach....good run on the brisket. If they were easy to cook, everybody would be doing it. No sin whatsoever in trying a different technique. Last one I did was 15# or so after trimming and cooked on the BGE at 300. Basted once with glaze, took about 4 1/2 hours and was fantastic.

I did a bit of cooking this weekend. This was on Saturday. The new Santa Maria was out of commission at the time. I had it torn apart to complete what I hope is the last modification I need to make. Did some Piedmontese fajitas with my home made spice mix along with some grilled veggies on the Lynx propane grill. They were fantastic!!
016.jpg

017.jpg

Major rain storm crashed down half way through but it didn't stop me
020.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

Fajita served alongside a margarita on the rocks with salt.
027.jpg

Sunday was Piedmontese Rib Eye Cap Steaks, grilled corn and a Caprese salad with homemade balsamic reduction. Had the Santa Maria rebuilt and functioning for this one. Final part was delivered by Amazon around noon.

036.jpg

032.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

All in all, a great weekend of eating. These steaks were absolutely amazing!! I'd just placed another order from Piedmontese earlier in the day but the wife made me go back and order 12 of these along with what I'd already ordered. They were that good. By far the most tender, juicy, and flavorful commercially purchased steak either of us have ever had....bar none!!

Adding fuel to Zach's fire,
Robert

Reactions: bigdaddy4760
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky