Cedar Smoke House

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Beautiful!
Any chance you'd share some pic of the inside? Have you smoked anything yet or what are you planning to smoke?

Very nice looking smokehouse! Can you send me the material list and plans i have been wanting to build one for a long time.

I don't have a material list. Half the stuff was left over items from other stuff I've done. The base of the smokehouse is 40"x40" and is 3 rows of 8" block high. There's a 16" space (1 cinder block) between the smokehouse base and the firebox. I did buy 65 full firebricks to line the inside of the firebox. It took alot of bricks around the outside but these were leftovers so I didn't count. There's a 6" clay flue about 30" long from the firebox to the smokehouse. Used roughly 60 ceder fence picket boards to cover the outside. A box of stainless steel nails for the batten boards and almost 5lb box of stainless steel screws for everything else. Here's a tip don't buy the square headed stainless steel screws, but star ones if you can find them.

That is a nice one.. should last awhile...

Can I ask for a tour of the inside.. both fire box and house... looking for ideas

My plan was to make it so I could pull the racks out, but since I framed the doorway my racks are a little wider than my doorway. I can still get them out but I have to tilt the one side up. Not idea, but it works.

I made 2 vents in the firebox door. The bottom one works as a damper. The top one I made to help allow heat out if the smokehouse got to hot, but it doesn't seem to work that well. Not sure if its not high enough or not. I've only done 2 smokes, so I'm still experimenting. One thing I would have done differently is used 1/2 or so angle iron to make the frame of the door. I used 3/16" steel than used flat 3/16" to cover the gap. On the burn in process the door warped some so I added a pc of angle iron to the left side. The other 3 sides were fine.

Used 4 firebricks to lay some old grill grates across, but will have to upgrade to something a little better as they already bowed. I think my dad has some old cast iron grates that hopefully will fit.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 53
Nicely Done! Let us know how the first smoke goes.

Smoked my 1st pork butt. Temps were a little hard to keep steady during the duration of the cook, but from the bottom rack to the top rack was only a 1 degree difference. I didn't bother to wrap the butt, and that was a mistake. Had good flavor and the whole family liked it, just the outside got a little burnt.

Attachments

• IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: BuckeyeSteve
of the inside? H

Added a register vent to the back wall for the 2nd smoke and it made a world of difference. Temps stayed steady at 225 with ease.

Did a brisket on the 2nd smoke. I wrapped it about halfway thru. Looked good and tasted good, but got a little dry on the non point end.

Attachments

• IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: BuckeyeSteve
I don't have a material list. Half the stuff was left over items from other stuff I've done. The base of the smokehouse is 40"x40" and is 3 rows of 8" block high. There's a 16" space (1 cinder block) between the smokehouse base and the firebox. I did buy 65 full firebricks to line the inside of the firebox. It took alot of bricks around the outside but these were leftovers so I didn't count. There's a 6" clay flue about 30" long from the firebox to the smokehouse. Used roughly 60 ceder fence picket boards to cover the outside. A box of stainless steel nails for the batten boards and almost 5lb box of stainless steel screws for everything else. Here's a tip don't buy the square headed stainless steel screws, but star ones if you can find them.
Thank you for sharing that! One day I will build one hahahha..enjoy smoking on that !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky