Cedar and cinder block smokehouse build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have you had any issues with the block cracking or breaking in the firebox?
Not with the blocks; they're still going strong. I am going to reseal the blocks, but with fire mortar this time. The regular mortar lasted this long, but is starting to separate.

Not with the blocks; they're still going strong. I am going to reseal the blocks, but with fire mortar this time. The regular mortar lasted this long, but is starting to separate.

The issue with the mortar, is it only in the firebox portion?

What thickness is your door?

Very nice build by the way, I plan on doing one in the month or so very similar.

I would have lined the fire box with fire bricks. I did mine of the bottom and did a concrete top. The concrete is fine but the bricks heave and crack when it gets hot but only above the fire brick line where I stopped. I plan to rebuild my fire box to be two vaulted ovens. Bottoms for smokehouse heat like yours and top on an oven with a chimney.

I made my grates very similar to yours. Mine rust and I did try and season them. I think I need to build a fire in the pit and heat and entire side and mop it with oil and burn it good and hope that helps. They just don't season in a smokehouse like on a grill. I have not seen anyone address this yet.

I agree with you on the fire bricks, and actually planned to use them at the time, but were really expensive and I wanted to make sure the setup worked before I spent more. I plan to add them during this summer's maintenance. I also tried to season the grates, and you are exactly correct...they don't season like a grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky