Cavender’s Greek

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Been working with Cavender’s Greek seasoning for sausage. We like the seasoning generally and I started building a sausage recipe. It’s delicious With pork. The seasoning is salty running almost 50% salt, actually closer to 45% salt. So I am mixing double what my calculations for salt are. Like this, if I have 1 pound of meat and want 1.5% salt that works out to 6.81g salt. With this seasoning I just double that gram amount for the seasoning amount at 13.62g you can round it up or down without worry. It is very delicious, but playing with other flavors added like more garlic and even some lemon zest, but there is a base line to play with if you want.

Also playing with a sausage seasoning of Chinese 5 spice. So far I’m at about 1 1/2 tsp per pound of meat. This is also very good, kind of a mixture of German and Italian. I may even do some Christmas hams with this mixture in the injection. Just thought I’d share some fresh thoughts and experience.

49F2D45E-8B71-42BD-8498-F0663A286493.jpeg

Pretty sure they make a no salt version if you wanted to kick up the spice flavor.....
Didn’t know they had a salt free version, I’ll look. But actually running the conversion for 1.5% salt is pretty dang good Flavor wise. I can tweak it easy enough, but thanks for the tip.

Love cavenders. The idea of a ham injection sounds phenomenal. Hopefully you'll have it dialed in by Thanksgiving so I can steal it lol. Keith is correct they have a no salt version although I've never used it

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Love cavenders. The idea of a ham injection sounds phenomenal. Hopefully you'll have it dialed in by Thanksgiving so I can steal it lol. Keith is correct they have a no salt version although I've never used it
The Cavender’s would make a great ham, but the 5 spice would make an even better holiday ham I think. Spicy warm type. I will run that test well before the holidays And share that with you guys.

Reactions: indaswamp
Been working with Cavender’s Greek seasoning for sausage. We like the seasoning generally and I started building a sausage recipe. It’s delicious With pork. The seasoning is salty running almost 50% salt, actually closer to 45% salt. So I am mixing double what my calculations for salt are. Like this, if I have 1 pound of meat and want 1.5% salt that works out to 6.81g salt. With this seasoning I just double that gram amount for the seasoning amount at 13.62g you can round it up or down without worry. It is very delicious, but playing with other flavors added like more garlic and even some lemon zest, but there is a base line to play with if you want.

Also playing with a sausage seasoning of Chinese 5 spice. So far I’m at about 1 1/2 tsp per pound of meat. This is also very good, kind of a mixture of German and Italian. I may even do some Christmas hams with this mixture in the injection. Just thought I’d share some fresh thoughts and experience.

View attachment 642233
Cavender’s Seasoning….made in Arkansas. About 30 mins. from me. Some good stuff!

Cavender's is awesome. It was my go-to when I lived in OK. Now I'm in CO and it's hard to find in stores. I've also never tried the no-salt version. It sounds like it would go great in sausage.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Cavender's is awesome. It was my go-to when I lived in OK. Now I'm in CO and it's hard to find in stores. I've also never tried the no-salt version. It sounds like it would go great in sausage.
Colorado also, I have to hunt for it but I find it really easily enough. This makes delicious sausage seasoning.

I used to use the crap out of this stuff back in the day. Everything on the grill... Good stuff!

Been using it for years, here is a list of ingredients on a quick look, Potassium chloride, black pepper, corn starch, garlic, oregano, flavor base seasoning (hydrolyzed corn soy protein, sugar, onion powder, spice extractives, ) parsley and 5 other spices.

So you still have to watch your salt as it has a version of salt in it. funny how they can post stuff the way they due and be legal lol Amazon has it if you cant find it local

I usually get my groceries at King Soopers in Denver - a Kroger owned company. They don't carry Cavender's. I used that stuff for steaks, burgers, chicken all the time in the past. Now I usually mix my own seasoning for the same reason Smoking Allowed said... to control the level of the salt.

Mine is packed to, wife was commenting I need to get rid of some, she caught me gone last time and thinned the herd, I need to put a pad lock on it lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky