Catfish Stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow that looks fantastic! I have recently been trying Catfishing with no luck! Fishing from boat last 6 times without one. Had a lot of fun Striper fishing this year but want to learn this than on to Crappie. I may have to just pay a guide to learn from.

Wow that looks fantastic! I have recently been trying Catfishing with no luck! Fishing from boat last 6 times without one. Had a lot of fun Striper fishing this year but want to learn this than on to Crappie. I may have to just pay a guide to learn from.
Thank you Brian, I appreciate it. I'm not a catfisherman, but I know a little about their habits around here from friends who are. Right now they are catching them pretty good in 20-30 feet of water using live blue back herring and gizzard shad or cut herring and shad on the bottom, but it has to be fresh. I would think that any fresh fish such as white perch or bream, if legal, would work, too. I don't know anyone who uses any kind of stink bait, but then I only know a couple of people who actively target cats. All of the bigger cats that I hear about are caught on some sort of fresh fish. I'm talking about 20 lbs. or bigger. My personal best on a rod and reel was caught trolling live large shiners while fishing for stripers on Cherokee Lake in Tennessee last November. It was a 45 lb. blue cat, caught in less than 10 feet of water and was released to fight another day. Good luck and catch em up...
IMG_1005001.jpg

I have broke down and booked a guide for end of month. He been getting some huge catfish. I really just want to get some 3-5 lb but will be fun reeling in those monsters. Sometimes you have to pay to be taught.

I have broke down and booked a guide for end of month. He been getting some huge catfish. I really just want to get some 3-5 lb but will be fun reeling in those monsters. Sometimes you have to pay to be taught.
I agree. As a charter captain myself, I've been hired numerous times to teach young and/or new fishermen, or even experienced fishermen, how to fish the way I do. I don't hide anything because I'm of the belief that "you can't catch them all." I always explain what I'm doing and why, right or wrong, and also what I do at different times of the year.

So don't hesitate to ask your captain why he's doing what he's doing, where he's doing it, and what he would try next month or next spring or whenever. Through the course of the seasons, fish migrate so what works today at that particular place may not work next week, next month, etc. But it will give you some idea of the techniques, tackle, and bait to use. Just be respectful of his location(s) if he'll be coming back there in the next few days or so with other charters. Surely there are many other places that are similar to where you'll be fishing that you could locate yourself and try to duplicate what he shows you.

Remember, there's no substitute for time on the water...

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Looks Great, Charles!!
I see I'm not the only one here who would have trouble saving any for the stew, after a good Grilling!!
However I notice Festus & Doc are quite partial to "Catfish Stew" at "Delmonicos".
Like.

Bear

Livers/nightcrawlers for channel cats, cut for blue cats, live bait (bluegills are like prime rib for flatties) for flatheads. White perch being my second choice, shad #3. When the shad are running and you can net 500/throw it's fun and only takes 1 throw lol.

Any catfish will take a live bait and I've caught a lot of flats on cut bait, but those are my go-to for specific species. I target the big ones and have caught dozens over 40 in both blues/flats and quite a few 10+ channels (all of those on cut or live while fishing for the others)

Flatheads are the only ones worth eatin IMO ;)

We never had the big Catfish around here, but they are starting to occupy our rivers, mainly the Susquehanna & the Delaware in Eastern PA.
Bear Jr's been hitting the Susquehanna this year, and has done pretty good.
Below are some he has caught on small Bluegills 6" to 8" long:

Biggest one he caught so far:
0-3.jpeg

A couple more:
0-1.jpeg

Say "Ahhhh": Susquehanna River, PA:
0-2.jpeg

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Bear Jr is a flathead hunter!!!

Yum!!!!

Though it's an unpopular opinion, have him keep one in the 25-30 lb range. The meat on those bigger ones is so good. The belly on the big ones is especially good when it's dredged in cornmeal and deep fried.

Bear Jr is a flathead hunter!!!

Yum!!!!

Though it's an unpopular opinion, have him keep one in the 25-30 lb range. The meat on those bigger ones is so good. The belly on the big ones is especially good when it's dredged in cornmeal and deep fried.
LOL---That kid is a fishing machine.
I started taking him when he was old enough to walk PA trout streams with hip boots on, and not fall out of boats. He never stopped.
As for these Flatheads, we never had them when I was still fishing, so I didn't teach him that one. Instead he got a guide to take him & his buddy out on the Susquehanna River, and that first day they caught 36 Flatheads, and at least half a dozen were in the 30 pound range.
The difficulty is getting him to cut a couple up for the old man, because I can't do it any more. He was out again last week, and caught another dozen, with a couple around 30 pounds. I got more pictures, but I don't want to flood the market. What I want now is some Flathead meat for my Ninja!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky