Cast iron thighs w/root veggies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Ive posted this before but figured i would revisit. I'll keep it short and sweet. This is one of our favorite meals when fall and winter come around. Real simple and super comforting.

Season some thighs with salt and pepper and sear them off in a screaming hot cast iron pot or dutch oven on the stove. This is to get the skin crispy. Not to cook through.
1110201957.jpg

Give them a flip
1110202002a.jpg

Once the brown up remove them and set aside. Once again they do not need to be cooked all the way through. Only a hard sear..

Now cut up some of your favorite root veggies. Here we have parsnip,carrot and sweet potatoes
1110201957a.jpg

Toss them in the chicken fat in the pot and season with more salt and pepper.
1110202012.jpg

Place the thighs on top(skin side up)
1110202021.jpg

Pop it in a 400° oven until the veggies are tender. This is usually about an hour and 15min for me. At that time the chicken is usually about 185° and the skin is like chicken chicharones. Extra crispy skin and the bone slides right out.
1110202119.jpg

Plated up
1110202128.jpg

We just love this meal! I always just use whatever root veggies we have but you can add different things or other seasoning to your taste
Thanks for taking a look!

looks good! Thanks for sharing Travis. That would be good on a cold day.

Ryan

Looks very tasty. Simple to make and one pot meal to boot. So many great ideas ! I learn something new everyday. Thank you all!

Looks real good Travis. I've been using thighs a lot lately, and always looking for new ideas. This is next on my list. Simple and flexible on the ingredients. Great job!

View attachment 471178

Looks like a great meal on a cold day. Nice job man!
lol! Thanks! It was real satisfying!
Looks good Travis. We do something similar from time to time. So many different flavors you can add
Thanks Jake , your right ...you can go so many directions with this.
looks good! Thanks for sharing Travis. That would be good on a cold day.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan ! Its a real comfort dish thats for sure!
Looks very tasty. Simple to make and one pot meal to boot. So many great ideas ! I learn something new everyday. Thank you all!
Thanks! Thats the best part about it. Easy fast and not a lot of dishes! Lol!

Looks good to me!
Jim
Thanks Jim!
Looks tasty Travis!
Thanks Jeff!
Looks real good Travis. I've been using thighs a lot lately, and always looking for new ideas. This is next on my list. Simple and flexible on the ingredients. Great job!
Thanks! Very flexible! Sometimes I'll use leg quarters. Red potatoes, different seasonings. You can go many ways with this!
Your title had me chuckling. Been some time since I've had cast iron thighs. No regular bicycling in a few years.
lol!!

That sounds really good. I love the sweet heat of Parsnips...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky