Cast Iron Skillet Almond Shortbread----yummm!

Discussion in 'Desserts' started by kathrynn, Jan 22, 2013.

1. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Found another dessert recipe I wanted to try.  It's simple to make too.

10 inch cast iron skillet

Cooking spray

Foil

1 1/2 cups sugar (*****plus 2 TBS)

1 1/2 sticks of Butter, melted

2 large eggs, beaten

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp of salt

1 tsp almond extract

1/2 cup sliced almonds with skins (I am going to use 1/3 cup next time...my skillet is an 8')

Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 10 inch cast-iron skillet with foil, and spray the foil with cooking spray.

I a large mixing bowl, stir the sugar with the melted butter.  Beat in eggs one at a time and stir well.  Sift the flour and salt onto the batter. Stir well.  Add the flavoring and stir well.  Pour the batter into the foil lined skillet.  Top with the almonds and the remaining 2 TBS of sugar. (****)

Bake until slightly browned on top.  About 35 minutes.  Cool the shortbread in the skillet.  When cool, use the foil to remove from the skillet.  Remove foil and place on plate...cut into wedges and enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. 1beezer

1beezer Smoke Blower

Thanks. This looks delishious.

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks good to me...JJ

4. kathrynn

I am going to do it without nuts and with Vanilla this weekend.

5. humdinger

humdinger Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks Kathryn,

I wonder if adding Disoranno Almond Liqueur would kick it up a notch!? Will give it a try.

6. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

I put nuts in things not take them out...lol

7. Thanks for sharing, Im going to make this. Hope mines looks as good as your[​IMG].

8. 1beezer

1beezer Smoke Blower

I just made it. Still warming.

9. 1beezer

1beezer Smoke Blower

OMG, I need a cigarette after eating some of that. I know I'll be making this again [​IMG]

10. kathrynn

Dont see why it wont work!  Vanilla and Almond Flavorings have a high alcohol content....that does too!
    How did it turn out?  From what I am reading...it was the yummmmm factor like I had!

11. 1beezer

1beezer Smoke Blower

It was really good. My GF really liked it as well. Thank you.

12. kathrynn

Glad it worked and "did you proud"!  With all of the great foods we smoke...gotta have dessert!

Kat[​IMG]

13. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Sounds good...have the ingredients out to make it today. Looking around for some likker to try in and have a ripe banana to add as well....lol

14. Hey thanks for the recipe! I have it baking in the oven right now along with a German cake I whipped up from scratch. I should be good on desserts for a little while  [​IMG]

15. Ok done & sampled.

The almond shortbread.

Closer view.

The German cake - ready to fold in the egg whites.

Perfect!

The almond shortbread is very tasty & I will be making it again for sure (as well as the German cake - I make it quite frequently). Thanks again for the recipe Kat!

16. I forgot to add that I didn't have any almond extract & didn't feel like taking the long road trip to get some so I used some really good vanilla extract in place of it. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a baking expert but it seemed to work ok...  [​IMG]

17. kathrynn

They both looked delish! Now you have to share the German one! Deal?

18. Fair enough  [​IMG]    I put it in a new thread so I didn't hijack yours any more than I already have.  [​IMG]     [​IMG]

I already ate over half that almond shortbread - I can't stay out of it! 

19. kathrynn

I am going to try Vanilla this weekend. I am glad you liked it! Hijack away! When ya have great Q.....gotta have great dessert too.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. pgsmoker64

pgsmoker64 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Wow, this looks really good.

Kat, you and B are killin me with these sweets recipes...LOL - but I'll die happy!

Bill