Cast Iron Size?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
So I have decided to buy a cast iron skillet for use mostly on my new Weber kettle. I have the 22” kettle. What do you suggest as the best all around useful size? I may get others in the future but at first I’d like to get something that will give the most utility on my grill. Thanks in advance for your advice.

G

The workhorse in my kitchen is the 12", followed by the 10" and then the 6"
I've almost stopped using "non stick", "disposable" frying pans in my kitchen. I think I only every use one of those pan every 3 weeks or so...

It’s just my wife and I that I cook for most times. I was thinking 10” sounded right but if you all think that 12” has been most useful then I think I am going to go for that first. I’m all about getting some bacon wrapped scallops on that sucker to go with my prime rib out of the smoker. So much yum.

G

I use the 15" carbon steel paella pan, but let's stick with the thread of cast iron. If I ever buy a cast iron pan for my 22" Kettle, I'd buy a 12" to 16" cast iron pan with two short handles. It maximizes cooking space, and gives lots of options for rotating the pan and positioning your fire in charcoal baskets for direct and indirect heat. Great for using on the stovetop, oven, Kettle, smoker, and campfire.

Just my 2 cents.

91n4Hhc6toL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
It’s just my wife and I that I cook for most times. I was thinking 10” sounded right but if you all think that 12” has been most useful then I think I am going to go for that first. I’m all about getting some bacon wrapped scallops on that sucker to go with my prime rib out of the smoker. So much yum.

G

I don't think it's legal to have Smoked Prime Rib & Bacon Wrapped Scallops in the same Meal.
Something about "Too Much Pleasure!!!"

Reactions: RiversideSm0ker
What kinds of things are you thinking about cooking? Cast iron comes in many shapes, and sizes, and it's all wonderful..... and vintage CI is always nice to cook on just for the history. On the grill, handles can get in the way, so account for that. The bonus is, it takes a lower temp fire when you use CI and the more you cook on it, the better the seasoning.

kq3Aka6.jpg

13zI8Gr.jpg

MUW7icz.jpg

2IqDN78.jpg

IhDrRli.jpg

CKoBTje.jpg

ihE5NRY.jpg

KACUlTF.jpg

What type of cooking are you thinking about?
With my webber 22, I most often use either the 12 inch iron skillet, or an iron wok.
They rest perfectly into the grate’s center hole (see picture). Recessing the 12inch skillet works especially well for collecting drippings onto veggies or potatoes when rotisserieing.
Picture3.jpg
Picture1.jpg

Reactions: C.ray
Cooking for 2, I agree with the 12" Dual Handle, around $30. I cook for 6 adults and my 17" duel, is indispensable...JJ

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky