Cast Iron Pizza Pan very rough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you have to have a smooth surface get an angle grinder and use flap wheels to smooth it down. Start with a reasonably coarse wheel and go toward finer grits. If you have a square type pan you'll need to get one of those little triangular type sanders to do the corners. I do like the smooth pans better than the rough ones but not enough to go to the trouble to smooth them out. Pizza pans don't need to be near as smooth as frying pans intended for eggs and the like.

I wouldn't put anything between my pizza, bread, or anything I was doing in my CI pizza pan. (Someone suggested parchment paper?) And mine is rough just like yours.
And works great on the stove top too. The lip on mine is over 1/4" high. No good for fried chicken or scrambled eggs but works fine for tortillas, fried eggs, and light stir-frying. Easier to get a spatula in for turning than a conventional pan.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
If you have to have a smooth surface get an angle grinder and use flap wheels to smooth it down. Start with a reasonably coarse wheel and go toward finer grits. If you have a square type pan you'll need to get one of those little triangular type sanders to do the corners. I do like the smooth pans better than the rough ones but not enough to go to the trouble to smooth them out. Pizza pans don't need to be near as smooth as frying pans intended for eggs and the like.
This!!!
But wear one of your covid masks, C.I. has a way of getting deep into your sinuses and lungs, then you will taste that crap for the whole day. I have worn out many thousands of grinding wheels working with C.I. pipe and fittings for waste and drain lines, that C.I taste is brutal, and it can't be good for you.

Lodge C.I. are rough because of the casting sand that they use, not because of the spray on seasoning.
There is no way you are going to get them smooth by scraping them, if you want a smooth C.I. pan either use it as often as you can or hit it with a sanding wheel, then reseason with soybean oil.

This is a pretty cool vid.

This!!!
But wear one of your covid masks, C.I. has a way of getting deep into your sinuses and lungs, then you will taste that crap for the whole day. I have worn out many thousands of grinding wheels working with C.I. pipe and fittings for waste and drain lines, that C.I taste is brutal, and it can't be good for you.

Lodge C.I. are rough because of the casting sand that they use, not because of the spray on seasoning.
There is no way you are going to get them smooth by scraping them, if you want a smooth C.I. pan either use it as often as you can or hit it with a sanding wheel, then reseason with soybean oil.

This is a pretty cool vid.

Been there done that... cutting out bad CI sewer pipe! And a mask don't get all of it but the taste is undescribable!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky